Array
    Status
    kc
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Digital gauges?

Alright. I'm new to the mighty scene, not so new (but rusty) with DSM, had a 91 talon back when Nokia was more than just a weapon.

Anyway my 92 mighty doesn't have a tach. I'd like to try and stay away from screwing stuff into the dash. (Truck only has 60k original miles and everything inside is in awesome condition.)

Im curious if anyone has used a tablet or phone attached to the 12pin plug to display engine info.

I know obd1 is "simple" outputs and have seen the analog meter to read engine codes. But figured with the idiot lights for oil pressure and engine trouble there would be a way to get it to work or if someone has done it yet.

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    When I did my swap, I used a old Palm with a program called MMC I believe. It gave you RPM, TEMP, VOLT, AIR TEMP and plenty more. I also read trouble codes. I post more detail when I locate the Palm.

Array
    Status
    kc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Nice. Yea I could check that out for sure.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by bwannabeast
    I used a old Palm with a program called MMC I believe
    It's called MMCd. It was tailored to the DSMs, but most of the values will read correctly on any 12-pin Mitsu.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mmc...ce=recommended

I've been wanting to build something like this for myself.

http://mitsuduino.blogspot.com/

Array
    Status
    kc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I've seen a video around youtube of a guy getting one of those adruino setups running where his clock was.

The Rpi version that was done on a 240sx has been making the rounds recently also.

I was thinking of an Rpi setup myself or an app based version that is pre built.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Interesting that you mention the clock. When I first got the truck, I immediately thought that'd be a good place for a 2x40 LCD display.

Got a link to the 240 Rpi? That sounds interesting. I pulled my ABS ECU out a couple nights ago and noticed the housing would be the perfect size and place for an Rpi. There's quite a bit of room under there with the ECU and g-sensor removed.

Array
    Status
    kc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    This is the rpi in 240.
    https://youtu.be/5C9ypE6JUuY

I also saw this too, runs with obd1
    https://youtu.be/fibnQ7axKB4

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I've seen that first one before. It's pretty cool.

I think the second one is for GM ALDL cars. It doesn't look like a Mitsu connector.

This is really a sore point with me. I've done a ton of disassembly on the ECUs, so I know how the logging protocols work. I've hacked together some proof of concept stuff using existing tools. But I don't know any programming languages or platforms, so I'm stuck using and modifying other people's work. I've hit a wall and I need to start building and coding my own stuff from scratch and I just can't seem to find the time and focus to get over that wall.

Array
    Status
    kc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I'm in the same boat. The app he is using is the same app I found on the Android app store and it claims it can do mitsu along with several other obd1 makes. I have a phone I could use to test it I just need to do bring lazy and order the connection adapter to make the mitsu a obd2 plug.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    If the adapter will work with 5V TTL signaling, it should work with the old Mitsu ECUs. At least at the hardware level. The protocol itself is super simply.

My medium-term plan is to swap my truck to a 6G74 and an 2000 Montero OBD2 flash ECU, so I need a different hardware solution. Something like an OBDuino.

Array
    Status
    west coast, ca
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by bwannabeast View Post
    When I did my swap, I used a old Palm with a program called MMC I believe. It gave you RPM, TEMP, VOLT, AIR TEMP and plenty more. I also read trouble codes. I post more detail when I locate the Palm.
    I would love to know more about the software you mentioned for the palm. I have one kicking around I use for a universal remote. What cable did you use to interface with the ECU?

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    The cable is just a Mitsubishi 12 pin connector connected to a serial port. Jeff V. posted the link to the software and hardware requirments. The software only work with Palms.