Hey all, I'm new here but not new to cars. I'm in school to be a mechanic and have worked in a German independent shop for a couple years now. I've also been maintaining and modifying my '91 E30 BMW 325i for a long time. I just picked up this '88 mighty max with 140k and a bunch of recent maintenance for next to nothing.

download_20161001_234213.jpg

The only catch was the transmission. What the PO described as "Grinds going in to 3rd and 5th" turned out to be that 2nd, 3rd, and 5th were gone so I will be on the hunt for a rebuilt or known good 5 speed to replace the KM132 (that's what the firewall plack says) that is in there. That being said, this little beast made it the whole 100 mile drive home in 4th gear; I'm already starting to get attached and I've only had the little guy for a little over 24 hrs.

I'm here to try and learn a bit about my new truck and hopefully get it ready for DD duty when my E30 goes under the knife for an engine rebuild. Any input as to where I might find a decent rebuilt transmission would be of great help.