Status
    Canada, Quebec
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other

1989 RAM D-50 broken down please help

Hey guys,

I have been a driver of the D-50 for about 5 years now and i have loved the experience apart from a little bit of maintenance here and there to keep her going, she has been sweet. Now i'm going to be honest when it comes to mechanics well, i'm not that mechanical. That's why i am here hoping for an easy fix/any ideas before i have to call out the toe truck. Anyway yesterday morning i got up and had a few things to get from the hardware store so after my breakfast out i went, and got there fine. After doing my shopping i loaded up the D-50 and got on my way driving as usual with no problems. Then i pull up at a T junction And she just cuts out on me???? WTF

I obviously try to restart the D-50 over and over she just wouldn't go, so after a heavy push to the road side i gave the engine a quick check over and nothing. Then tried again to start her over but the D-50 was not having it, got a friend to toe me home. After doing some research i have come up with nothing apart from a friend said a possible ECU problem??? i don't know i pretty cluless and gutted.

SPECS
    Year: 1989
    Model: D-50
    Engine: 2.4L 4 cylinders
    Transmission: 5 speed manual
    Fuel: Gasoline
    Mileage: (New engine 2010) 42,000

This is why i believe it's not an engine problem so to speak due to only 42 on the clock and that i have the service papers to say it has had a new engine. saying this what could it be guys?? anything you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated!!!

Example image below
    D-50.jpg

Looking forward to chatting to everyone!!
    Thanks guys

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hey, gohard...check to make sure you have spark. Make sure you have fuel getting to the cylinders (to assure it isn't a clogged fuel filter).

It seems that with ANY vehicle, there's usually some degree of "warning" before a part goes bad...sputtering, rough idle, etc.. For an engine to suddenly cut off and then not start is an indication of something come loose...like a coil wire.

Always start with the simple solutions, because most of the time, that's what the problem is: simple.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There are a number of things that can go wrong with your truck. The ECU can fail on them (it is common for capacitors to go bad but this is a straight forward fix if you're competent with a soldering iron - if not, swap the ECU for a good/refurbished unit), relays can go out, the ECM in the distributor can go out (another common fault that is easily rectified) other faults usually leave the engine functioning but running rough like TPS or MAF. Start from the basics - check that you do have spark and fuel and all fuses and relays are operational.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    this is a carbed truck, so ECM would not be a factor. Most likely the pickup in the distributor, ballast resistor on coil, or the coil itself. Need to confirm this is an 89 with a carb - 2.4 l motors are efi, but the 2.0 and 2.6 are carbed - what does the tag on the firewall say for the engine code?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Canada, Quebec
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    A soldering iron is no problem for me to use but how would i know if the ECU was the problem??? will it be black when i pull it out?? I have already checked the spark plugs which where fine But i haven't checked the fuel filter which is a good idea after all she's an old girl!! And yes it's an 89 with a carb i will find the engine numbers out soon

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    O.k. carb'd - I assumed it was EFI. My bad

Test the fuel cut solenoid on the carb (the thing with the thick electrical cable on it) if it fails it will starve the engine of all fuel. Hook 12 power to it and it should click as the circuit comes live and click again when disconnected. Being semi-neanderthal tech it will make things easier to diagnose. If you got spark (even to start off with) then half the battle is won. If the ballast resistor has a crack in it, it will start but will die once it overheats (this doesn't seem to be the issue you have so that whole observation is redundant lol) A bad coil will let it run as well but will have a weak spark and break down under load. A dead ECM in the distributor will kill spark outright. As with previous posts made by Royster and Pennyman, keep it simple...

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    This should be fuel injected. Checking the tag on the fire wall will at least verify what the truck originally came with. A photo of the engine will help, too.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    1990 was the first year for the 2.4 Fi motor; 89 the last year for the 2.6 and 2.0 carbed motors. But it doesn't mean it wasn't switched - I got the whole power steering setup, including column from an 86 ram 50 in a upullit yard - firewall says g63b - motor was a 79 g54b. What caught my eye was that the power steering pump was mounted high on the passenger side of the block - the power steering pump on a 2.6 is mounted low on the passenger side. That pump and bracket was what I needed for the 86 project truck which has the 86 g63b motor in it that needs power steering.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Canada, Quebec
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Gohard View Post
    Hey guys,

I have been a driver of the D-50 for about 5 years now after getting her off of a RAM D-50 classified ads site. i have loved the experience apart from a little bit of maintenance here and there to keep her going, she has been sweet. Now i'm going to be honest when it comes to mechanics well, i'm not that mechanical. That's why i am here hoping for an easy fix/any ideas before i have to call out the toe truck. Anyway yesterday morning i got up and had a few things to get from the hardware store so after my breakfast out i went, and got there fine. After doing my shopping i loaded up the D-50 and got on my way driving as usual with no problems. Then i pull up at a T junction And she just cuts out on me???? WTF

I obviously try to restart the D-50 over and over she just wouldn't go, so after a heavy push to the road side i gave the engine a quick check over and nothing. Then tried again to start her over but the D-50 was not having it, got a friend to toe me home. After doing some research i have come up with nothing apart from a friend said a possible ECU problem??? i don't know i pretty cluless and gutted.

SPECS
    Transmission: 5 speed manual
    Fuel: Gasoline
    Mileage: (New engine 2010) 42,000

This is why i believe it's not an engine problem so to speak due to only 42 on the clock and that i have the service papers to say it has had a new engine. saying this what could it be guys?? anything you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated!!!

Example image below
    D-50.jpg

Looking forward to chatting to everyone!!
    Thanks guys
    Right i have changed all spark plugs and cleaned out the fuel filter (which needed it) and still don't want to start. That's all the easy things out the way now i'm going to check out the ECU see what that's like