Array
    Status
    NYC area
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Newbie, thanks for the add.

Greetings from NY. Do not own a truck at present, did own an 88 PR 50. Looking at a an 85 PR 50 with the 4D55. So any advice and/or answers I need will hopefully be answered. And advice is appreciated. Stay safe, stay well

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    make sure it has been well maintained, looks good, doesn't leak fluids, has good tires, good fluids, isn't muddy or greasy as well, etc.

a common issue is with the mikuni carb, they are just crappy carbs
    another is with the jet valve heads cracking. its a week spot because the head is thin there
    another is the timing chains. replace them often. preventative maintanence is always good

also do a compression test, fuel pressure test, check the voltage of everything, make sure all the gauges work, all the belts are good, and make sure all gears shift smoothly and that 4x4 operates properly in 2H 4H and 4L. make sure the brakes are good and that the parking brake functions properly and is in good working order. check for cracker/broken suspension parts, and maijor rust. and don't forget to check the fuel filter while you are under there.

expect good gas mileage and plenty o power outta that diesel!

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    and while I'm here I may as well say this: a weber swap and a non jet valve head / jet valve eliminator kit, as well as a header and an upgraded turbo and exhaust manifold will all help these engines gain plenty of power.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Scared to ask what happened to your original truck... Good luck with finding a diesel'd truck for your next ride. Even if you come across one with a bad head or injector pump there are retrofits from later 4D56 engines that will swap over to get it on the road and running.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    NYC area
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Scared to ask what happened to your original truck... Good luck with finding a diesel'd truck for your next ride. Even if you come across one with a bad head or injector pump there are retrofits from later 4D56 engines that will swap over to get it on the road and running.
    Thank you. I Traded in the 88 for a bigger truck. Loved it. But love my diesels as well. Found an 85 with the 4D55 on FB marketplace. Looks in good shape, would have no issues paying someone in the area where the seller lives to peek at it. My only vice is A/C and it doesnt have it. That would be the next mission.

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to the forum, great to see another truck/member from NY here! There are almost no other local members, or at least none that are very active.
    As you might've noticed, there are not many of these trucks on the road around these parts (probably because of rust), and good luck trying to find any at a JY, basically impossible. I did find some original wheels at a place in Long Island though, but I think they came from a Montero.

Good luck with the purchase, looking forward to hearing about your adventures with it. This site is a great resource.