Array
    Status
    Olga Wa
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

What's the buzz?

Just bought an '83 mitshubishi 4x4 diesel pickup. Pretty good shape and am enjoying working out a few bugs. I am 63 and have been a shade tree truck mechanic most of my life, but just on my own stuff. To start with this truck occasionally makes a loud buzzing sound from a silver box on the passenger kick panel. Glow plug relay? It does this about one in three start ups and lasts way too long. Eventually goes off randomly. I have 3 other older diesel vehicles and I have installed manual glow relays with solenoids. Is this what the buzz box is?" Thanks in advance, GB

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    You are correct. It's is what controls the timing function for your glow plugs. At least that's my understanding. Mine has been bypassed so it doesn't do anything at all.

Array
    Status
    Olga Wa
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Thanks, I will go through my box of starter solenoids and bypass that box. Anyone have a lead on where to look for drivers side fender emblems 'mitsubishi 4x4' ?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    keep in mind that the 83 glow plugs are 6 VDC and will swell up and gall in the holes if left on too long.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Olga Wa
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    I found yesterday that if I turn the key off while driving and then back on the buzzer stops. If I do a manual setup is there a voltage reducer ahead of the GPs? Anyone have a wiring diagram for this vehicle? I had hoped to take some pics of my new truck today but it's pouring out right now. Bought it from a 25 year old girl whose Dad bought it new. He was a chief engineer on merchant ships and kept all records with a 2" stack of receipts.