Thread: New engine time, some questions...

Array
    Status
    North Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

New engine time, some questions...

Ok well i have a 1991 Mighty Max that its smoking bad, i just replaced the head and valve seals and its still smoking, i dont feel like rebuilding the engine and cant find a used one around me, my question is, what car / truck can i pull a engine from that will fit my truck, i have a 8valve head and would most likley need to switch it with whatever block i get but what car i can i get a motor from?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You have a few options but some will require using the short block only. Later model Mitsubishi vans came with 4G64's so they should be a straight swap (may need some changes to the external coolant gallery running around the back of the head), I think some Galants came with 4G64's as well but you'll need to use your manifolds as they're FWD. I'm not up to speed on DSM stuff but they're might be some options in that lot as well.

Array
    Status
    North Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    so get a short block from a galant and run my 8v head correct?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You will (should..?) be able to use the entire engine from a 2.4 Galant but as I mentioned earlier you will need to bolt up your manifolds. The Express/Star Wagon engine will be easier to find and will be a bolt up affair excluding the external water gallery (the heater hose outlets point in different directions to the truck layout.
    *I should have said long block in my post - my bad

Array
    Status
    North Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    You will (should..?) be able to use the entire engine from a 2.4 Galant but as I mentioned earlier you will need to bolt up your manifolds. The Express/Star Wagon engine will be easier to find and will be a bolt up affair excluding the external water gallery (the heater hose outlets point in different directions to the truck layout.
    *I should have said long block in my post - my bad
    ya those 2 vehicles you mentioned i dont think ever came to america. at least not that ive ever seen

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    No Express/Star Wagons? Delicas? I would've thought there'd be heaps of these vans in the States.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    None of them were imported into the USA - only seeing Delicas coming through Canada. Because of our weird import laws, any vehicle coming in must be 25 years old or older. This was a result of the gray area import cars that were being imported around the US distributors and costing them 10s of thousands in lost revenue per car. They convinced the gov't they were unsafe and put in the 25 year ban. They have sent Homeland Security after people who bought Land rover Defenders from importers that were deemed illegal, confiscated them and in some cases crushed them, despite the fact that the defender has not been sold in the US for years.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    *Disclaimer - I am about to go off on a tangent (and off topic)

This is one of the occasions where the laws have screwed you guys badly. The tariffs on vehicles imported to the states are out of control and the 'cash for clunkers' program double screwed you guys. The powers that be need to open their eyes and look at the impact the lack of competition has had on the economy and the consumers. Anyone feel free to flame me but from my perspective, US car manufacturers are getting away with building garbage and in some cases - murder. I've heard rumours of how bad the build quality of Mustangs are but until I saw one up close in a shopping centre, I thought they surely can't be that bad. Man, was I wrong...

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    we have crappy vehicles because we are having our parts made in other countrys like china and mexico. not a racist or anything like that its just the quality of parts that come from these areas are crap. low wages and non existent workers rights. its all about profit margins. half the vehicle is built somewhere else and then we assembly a couple of parts and off it goes.

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    back on topic. here is a link that list narrow and wide blocks. yours is a wide block so pick a wide block 4g64, g64b (2.4) or even a 4g63, g63b (2.0) from 1992 on down and put your head on it. the 2.0 should work fine but use it if you cannot find a 2.4 short block. i know somebody who took a 2.0 and carbed motor and put the 2.4 efi setup on it an ran it in his truck. he got a bit better gas millage but hardly any power loss.

http://projectzerog.com/mitsubishi_engines.shtml

Array
    Status
    North Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by finalfighter View Post
    back on topic. here is a link that list narrow and wide blocks. yours is a wide block so pick a wide block 4g64, g64b (2.4) or even a 4g63, g63b (2.0) from 1992 on down and put your head on it. the 2.0 should work fine but use it if you cannot find a 2.4 short block. i know somebody who took a 2.0 and carbed motor and put the 2.4 efi setup on it an ran it in his truck. he got a bit better gas millage but hardly any power loss.

http://projectzerog.com/mitsubishi_engines.shtml
    Thank you very much, i will look through the list right now

Array
    Status
    North Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    also are all the engine on that list wide block?

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    it is a list of both wide and narrow blocks. the column on the right that says "Bell Housing Bolt Pattern" identifys if its wide or narrow. there is a ton of info in that list so it can be overwhelming. just go threw it slowly and ask if you need more help.