Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Missing stereo ignition wire? Pic included

Hey guys finally getting around to installing my stereo and I've ran into a problem. I don't have a solid blue wire all the blue wires have stripes through them. I also have a wire that isn't mentioned on the page with all the connections is the large black wire that wasn't connected to anything and isn't the same type of wire as the others could someone tell me what that's about? Sorry for my ignorance this is my first time doing any of this
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Is the black one the antenna? I wasn't really ever to pick up a signal.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    The thick black one looks like an antenna wire with the end cut off. It'd probably just be easier to get a new antenna wire from a junked truck or car than it would be to find and install a new antenna connector.

If you're thinking the solid blue wire is for switched ignition power, then you're on the right track. It's solid blue coming out of the ignition switch, but turns into blue with a white stripe where it connects to the dashboard harness. Don't confuse it with white/blue stripe though. That one is for one of the speakers.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Buy a cheap pocket multi meter. It will become your best bud. +1 with JeffV - the thick black cable is the antenna and some tool has cut off the banana clip end. You should be getting constant voltage in the red/black stripe wire (this is your permanent power/memory wire) All aftermarket stereos have a yellow wire for this function so it looks like they got this part right. Green/white stripe is backlight illumination.

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I have a multimeter but how would I check it? Turn the key to on or acc and touch the tip of the wire and if it gives a voltage it's the right one? Could I check for the ignition wire with the bulb checker the same way I checked for the constant voltage wire? Yeah I'm not too worried about the antenna anyway I don't listen to the radio and it was going to get shaved anyway. Once again I'm sorry for so many questions I've just never done this and id like to make sure it's right.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    No need for apologies. It can be intimidating the first few times.

You're right on with testing voltage. Set the meter to read in the 12v range. Touch the black probe to bare metal, and the red probe to the wire. If it shows 11-12v, you're good. Turn the ignition off, and it should drop to 0. As geezer said, the red/black wire should always show battery voltage, because it's the backup wire.

I'm repairing a spare dash harness to add a radio back in to my truck. It's sitting on the floor in my basement, so it's easy to get photos of. Let me know if you need any help.

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Alright I got everything installed today appreciate the help guys

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Glad to hear it. Where did you end up mounting your speakers?

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
    No need for apologies. It can be intimidating the first few times.

You're right on with testing voltage. Set the meter to read in the 12v range. Touch the black probe to bare metal, and the red probe to the wire. If it shows 11-12v, you're good. Turn the ignition off, and it should drop to 0. As geezer said, the red/black wire should always show battery voltage, because it's the backup wire.

I'm repairing a spare dash harness to add a radio back in to my truck. It's sitting on the floor in my basement, so it's easy to get photos of. Let me know if you need any help.
    I need to send you your brackets. Text me your address again. I really need to get your stuff to you this week.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Word 'o caution when doing HU installs. Some of them are are temperamental and require the chassis of the HU to be physically grounded to the vehicle it's being installed into. One brand I know of that does not like to have a chassis ground overlooked is Pioneer. It'll kill them within a few weeks of being installed.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    be sure to ground the radio itself, not the grounds of the speaker wires - most HUs are floating speaker outputs. The ground in the radio harness from the old radio is not a true ground - it uses the dimmer knob on the dash to ground the lights.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980