Array
    Status
    Dallas
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T

A904 Torqueflite Questions

Hello! I suppose I'm new here but I've been around Mitsu's for ages now. I've got a 90 Mighty Max with a narrow 63 swap, and until a few months ago, a 5 speed D50 transmission. Long story short, the driveshaft took a dump and with it went the bellhousing on the manual. Thankfully I've got an A904 from an 83-86 Max/D50 in the garage that I was waiting to use when we got more serious about racing, but it seems like a sign.<br><br>What I don't have is a torque converter or flexplate. I've read in another thread that the auto trans from the narrow 2.0 was the same as the auto from the narrow 2.6. Does this mean I don't need a 2.0 specific TC/flex plate? Because I can't find anything that shows to be 2.0 specific. IF, this is true, I assume the starter and starter plate are interchangeable too.<br><br>Thanks for any info! Sorry for the novel :/

Array
    Status
    Dallas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Formatting is hard?

Quote Originally Posted by chasetepher View Post
    Hello! I suppose I'm new here but I've been around Mitsu's for ages now. I've got a 90 Mighty Max with a narrow 63 swap, and until a few months ago, a 5 speed D50 transmission. Long story short, the driveshaft took a dump and with it went the bellhousing on the manual. Thankfully I've got an A904 from an 83-86 Max/D50 in the garage that I was waiting to use when we got more serious about racing, but it seems like a sign.

What I don't have is a torque converter or flexplate. I've read in another thread that the auto trans from the narrow 2.0 was the same as the auto from the narrow 2.6. Does this mean I don't need a 2.0 specific TC/flex plate? Because I can't find anything that shows to be 2.0 specific. IF, this is true, I assume the starter and starter plate are interchangeable too.

Thanks for any info! Sorry for the novel :/

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I'll say yes, the flex plate should work. The question is - will the TC work as well? If the parts were both sourced from A904 optioned drivetrains then it'll be yes. With a bit of luck the TC from a 2.6 should work well with a turbo'd 2 litre. Next question will be - how does the kickdown on your A904 work? This might be the tricky part to get around. You will need the correct starter motor for that trans combo as well.

Array
    Status
    Dallas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Thanks, that's good to hear! The kickdown shouldn't be an issue, it's a fully manual valvebody. I do have the correct starter and starter plate as well.

The parts stores have some cheap flexplates and converters, will probably pick one up to confirm it works and at least make it roll.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the narrow A904 autos are the same from 79 - 86 on both 2.0 g52b, g63b and g54b 2.6. There are also flexplates on ebay - they are 6 bolt, with a alignment hole for the 86 2.6 auto. some people show an 8 bolt flexplate for our trucks, but they are for the American a904 - our 904s are really an Aisin-warner "baby" 904, licensed from Chrysler.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The A904 is a half decent auto trans for a 4 cylinder but it won't hold up to pushing big numbers through it. I'd say the A904 will like 200-250 hp but will go into self destruct mode once you reach 350 hp. If you can get your rear ratios right it will launch like a bullet

Array
    Status
    Dallas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I was wondering about those 8 bolt flexplates! I figured they were just for 318's and 360's and such. V8 mowters only. I think I might call around for a mild stall on the converter, not sure that anybody offers a "performance" option.

Thanks geezer! This is actually a built transmission, supposed to be good for 800-1000. Probably won't be there anytime soon so I think it should last. I'm thinking it should launch and shift a whole lot better than the five speed! Rear end is an 8.8 with 3.55 so we'll see what that ratio does.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Part of the issue with the A904 is hp - the other part is torque delivery. If you're running a turbo set up that comes onto boost narrow and fast, it will stress the hell out of it. But seeming you've built one up to the task, pushing 4-500 hp through it should be a walk in the park.

Array
    Status
    Dallas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Yup, it's a baby turbo right now, but we just want to work out the kinks in the whole truck before we step up the power. It ran an 11.7 many years ago with a five speed and 440hp/550tq, kinda curious how little power I'd need in the auto to beat that lol.

Picking up a flex plate from a parts store tonight, will see if it fits. Haven't ordered a tc yet, was thinking I might give these guys a call. http://www.floridatorqueconverters.c...dodge-904.html

Array
    Status
    Dallas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Parts store flexplate doesn't fit. It's 83-86 2.6 but it didn't even clear the bellhousing. Diameter was 11.75 in so I need something that's not that. Apparently.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    That would've sucked if you'd bolted it all together and tried mating the engine and trans (please tell us you didn't have to go that far...)

Array
    Status
    Dallas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Thankfully, no! I was already skeptical so I just held it up to the bellhousing, didn't clear at all.

Starting to think that the 2.0 and 2.6 A904 were not the same.

Array
    Status
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Took me two years to find the flexplate for my baby904 & 2.0 engine. Good luck.

Array
    Status
    Dallas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Haha, that's reassuring. Where'd you find one? I may have a lead on a complete setup pulled out of a junkyard.

Array
    Status
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by chasetepher View Post
    Haha, that's reassuring. Where'd you find one? I may have a lead on a complete setup pulled out of a junkyard.
    Ended up getting one from a member on here, actually.

Array
    Status
    Dallas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    That's pretty much what I figured.

Should be picking up the complete setup in a few weeks so I'll report back then if I get that hot manual valvebody action going.