Array
    Status
    columbia sc
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other

v8 in 2nd gen mm

Hey everybody im on here to see if there is anyone that has put a 5.3 into a 2nd gen mm or d50. If its possible please pass on the information. im looking to put a heart into my baby.and get her on the road...... newb to the site

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    Welcome to the forum..........dee.

You ever get down Augusta way, let me know, we can hook up for a brew or something.

Sorry, can't help ya on the engine swap question.

Array
    Status
    Olympia/wa
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I dont believe anybody has done an LS based engine swap into a MM/D50 as of yet. Not THAT much different than doing a SBC swap though other than a different block mount, and EFI. Likely a bit easier and more compact with the newer accessories on the front being more compact and plethora of mounts available. The biggest problem to overcome on the V8 swaps into these trucks always seems to be radiator clearance from the long water pump snouts on the older engines. I think the LS would easily overcome that and allow you to keep a factory location radiator.

Array
    Status
    martensdale,IA
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Well I'm about to start a 5.3 swapped MM, after I pick up the truck I'll start a thread. Still building the motor at the moment.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    starion engine bay and tunnel is similar to mighty max/D50.
    Quite a few LS swaps over there..... half of em turbo'd.
    http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/i...ic=125546&st=0
    http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/i...owtopic=151129

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    I did a 1st Gen SBC swap in mine, and although it's kind of an apples and oranges thing there are some common issues you encounter with all swaps and some that will be specific to this one.

As noted above the engine compartment is short and with most swaps into the 2nd Gen bodies radiator room is at a premium. If you’re not planning on running AC this is not really a big deal as the radiator can be moved in front of the core support. If you’re retaining the AC the best you can hope for is to move the radiator into the support (limiting the size of the radiator). Keep in mind you have to also have room for a fan. Although the factory fans are great units as moving air they are quite a bit thicker than the aftermarket units and you will want to keep that in mind when you do the setup prior to building mounts.

You want to avoid moving the firewall back if possible as that will probably cause interference downstream with the heater core, ducting and dash.

Other areas to watch out for are rear spark plug/exhaust manifold clearance to steering box and intake to hood clearance.

If your truck came with a manual transmission chances are you will need to enlarge the transmission tunnel for the new transmission tunnel. Plan on biting the bullet and just go ahead and pull the dash completely out. Before you re-install the dash, take a look at the heater core and heater control valve…..then ask yourself if you really want to take the dash out again 6 months after you get the truck back on the road because the 30 year old core or valve started leaking (AMHIK).

Dual exhaust with the stock fuel tank can be a challenge as the tank is in the way with for the drivers side pipe. I ended up running both exhaust pipes down the passenger side.

If you don’t already have them I strongly suggest you pick up the 2 book FACTORY shop manuals. They are invaluable for locating the hidden clips holding things together and wiring diagrams.

Good luck with your swap. By the way, one of these trucks with a V8 is just flat out fun to drive!!!!!!