Array
    Status
    Richmond, VA.
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Oil Leak 87 2.0

Have a 87 Ram 50 with a 2.0. I bought the truck in 97 drove it for a while, has been setting for 12 yrs. The truck has always leaked oil. I have went through the motor new rings new rod bearings had head reworked at a machine shop everything is stock minus weber carb. I replaced the the seals in the front cover did not pull off the front cover just replaced the 3 seals. The seal on the oil pump gear is leaking again. I am running the truck with no breather (only because of choke adjusting) so the hose from the valve cover is wide open. Truck starts to leak oil after it has ran about a min. it doesn't leak after the truck is shut down. After putting the motor back together I ran the truck in the garage probably 4 hrs. tweeking and listening, it didn't leak until after I drove the truck about 25 miles. And the timing belt cover is not on the truck because I left it off to check for leaks.
    Any suggestions loosing patients. Have ordered another seal but I don't think that is gonna do it.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Your engine is a G63B (just so you can correct your member info ) The seal might have been accidentally damaged while installing it, it's not seated correctly or the oil pump shaft has wear. Or you could've gotten a dud seal from new. It sucks having to take the timing belt off to get to it but if it's only the seal that's between you and driving your truck reliably, it's a small issue. Good luck with swapping the seal out and just be cautious - use grease, seat it in straight, drive it in gently etc and take a good look at the pump shaft once you've gotten the leaking seal out. You might get away with taking a coil or 2 out of the retainer spring inside the seal if the shaft has a bit of wear to pull the seal tighter against the shaft.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Richmond, VA.
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Your engine is a G63B (just so you can correct your member info ) The seal might have been accidentally damaged while installing it, it's not seated correctly or the oil pump shaft has wear. Or you could've gotten a dud seal from new. It sucks having to take the timing belt off to get to it but if it's only the seal that's between you and driving your truck reliably, it's a small issue. Good luck with swapping the seal out and just be cautious - use grease, seat it in straight, drive it in gently etc and take a good look at the pump shaft once you've gotten the leaking seal out. You might get away with taking a coil or 2 out of the retainer spring inside the seal if the shaft has a bit of wear to pull the seal tighter against the shaft.
    Thank for the info. On that seal the gear itself seats into the seal and before I installed the seal it fit snug on the gear I have a new seal and I noticed yesterday it is not leaking as much as the day before really makes no since but I am gonna try a new seal.