Thread: Truck Gods Please Help! Cuts off while driving!!!!

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Truck Gods Please Help! Cuts off while driving!!!!

Ok something new has developed the past 2 days. It's been cold as ball here recently and now Rag's here cuts off and on while driving.

Some things to state, I have installed:
    New distributor
    Cap and rotor
    Plugs and plug wires
    New Ignition coil

When I'm driving (usually when it's cold) and I'm cruising at a steady speed 35-45mph the truck cuts off and if I gas it, it will stall but if I let off and wait a few seconds sometimes it will kick back on. When it's warm it doesn't do it. When I floor it it feels like it's fighting but cutting on and off.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Only got 1 suggestion to your random cut out issue. Check your fuel cut solenoid on the carby. If it's on it's last legs it will randomly kill your engine every time you hit a bump or the engine runs a little on the rough side. It is a difficult problem to locate until someone shows you what the deal is. As engine vibration will cause the faulty cut solenoids' inner magnetic coil to go open and closed circuit it creates a situation where it triggers the fault by itself. Really freaking annoying...

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Only got 1 suggestion to your random cut out issue. Check your fuel cut solenoid on the carby. If it's on it's last legs it will randomly kill your engine every time you hit a bump or the engine runs a little on the rough side. It is a difficult problem to locate until someone shows you what the deal is. As engine vibration will cause the faulty cut solenoids' inner magnetic coil to go open and closed circuit it creates a situation where it triggers the fault by itself. Really freaking annoying...
    Ok now confusion ensues!! Where is this fuel cut solenoid? what does it look like? and can I delete it and have the carb still work?

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Well I found the cause of my issue...

The ICM in the Dizzy fell apart in there and the connections on the board broke. I tried to re-solder it, and I did. it turned over like it was goinging to start up but quickly died again. I check prices for a new ICM and it ranged from $150 - $200!!! A new Dizzy costs $167!

Ordered my Dizzy from my local Advanced Auto and it will be here in the morning. I'll update this if the issue is officially resolved.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I love these intermittent glitches...not. Anyway the fuel cut solenoid is a gadget that protrudes from the side of the carby with a thick black wire with a single white stripe. It looks a little like a 'C' size battery (I know the codes describing batteries are different in some countries - they're also referred to as an R14) and it's job is to starve the carby of fuel after the engine is killed to prevent 'dieseling' or run on. But, seeming you've found out that it's an electrical glitch that is causing all your grief, all I have done is added a paragraph of irrelevant info. With the new ICM she should be running like a champ again

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    for the future - ICM for 90+ trucks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351220681123...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . Hate to tell you, but its only 28.58 + free shipping...
    Last edited by pennyman1; 11-16-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    for the future - ICM for 90+ trucks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351220681123...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . Hate to tell you, but its only 28.58 + free shipping...
    Even comes with lube too!

Those are a pocket item at the wrecking yards. Check which vehicles had that engine and possibly find one, but for 28 bucks like pennyman posted for a new one, I'd go ebay "o" rama

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Even comes with lube too!

Those are a pocket item at the wrecking yards. Check which vehicles had that engine and possibly find one, but for 28 bucks like pennyman posted for a new one, I'd go ebay "o" rama

hate to tell you guys but that ICM is for gen 1 2.0 engins. I have a gen 2. My ICM looks like this:
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/b...15034|L3*16066

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    My Mistake actually it loks like that ICM you Linked guys is for a 2.6 I have a 2.0 so the ICM I have and needed was the one I posted above.
    I wish I could use the ICM from a 2.6 It would have saved me a ton of dough!...

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    But any-hoo, Rag's is fixed and on the road again! It was cheaper to swap Dizzy with a new one, and I got it a hell of a lot faster than if I had bought it off eBay. I need to get the truck on the road before the weekend was up as it's my only form of Transport ATM...

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    You beat me to the punch Kaos, I was just going to post that I interchanged a gen 2 2.0 ecm into my gen 1 2.0. when my old one got burnt. In fact my gen 1 motor is almost all gen 2 motor now. Mostly all swapped over from a doner 1987 truck in pieces to my ole '86. The big oil pump was probably the best swap in my case.

Array
    Status
    Eastman, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Ok guys I know its been awhile since my last update. But I am having the same issue again. But this time Its not ignition related as I just recently tryed to fix it the way I did last time. New Dizzy, Cap, Rotor and plugs and wires as its been 2 years. But still happening. I think its that Solenoid thing this time. Can someone tell me if I can delete it or replace it? Truck is sitting in the parking lot at my job and I am using the company delivery truck to get home and shit.

Boss is getting pissed that I don't have reliable transport now, and I don't need to lose my job...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Time for a weber carb and end the problem.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980