1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max

Project Mighty Bastard

My truck, 89' Mighty Max

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

As you can see some one did a 5 speed swap and added some cheap gauges. Only problem is they didn't bother to change the steering column or anything. And they put the tach way down low, so it is impossible to view while driving. Other than that the rest is pretty clean. So I'll be doing some work on the interior.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Pretty much stock 2.0.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine is where most of my attention will be spent. Right now I am battling the SMOG issue. But I got a Weber on the way. Hopefully I can clean that up. I'll post the #'s after the cat install. I'll also get pics of my ghetto fabulous exhaust.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

My Weber should be here tomorrow. I can't wait. I just want it here

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Weber came in. Install went off without any big hitches. I put the bottom adapter on the wrong way. Coolant spilled out from the adapter and intake. Really small oops. So switched it around and we are back in business. My pistons got a little steam cleaned. I know fluid is not compressible, but I am pretty sure it didn't do any damage. I noticed it immediately and figured it out right away.

Other than that small thing, everything else went good. I ran out of light so I only did a few revs and I shut it down for the night. I'll know more tomorow when I mess with it a little more. I got to check a few things and I'll try to run it through SMOG. I can't do the tune till I get it to my shop on the other side of town. My wideband is over there and I am not in the mood to try and risk a ticket for no registration. So I'll do what I can from here.

I'll get pics later.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    I really feel sorry for you people that have to pass smog tests. Where I live they scrapped the emissions laws in 1996 when all the car clubs got together across the province (going to their local test center) and did the free emissions testing. When 1940's to 80's engines with no emission controls were passing and 2-3 year old daily drivers were failing they scrapped the law and nothing has ever replaced it.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    My 1980 d-50 with a weber and a pacesetter header passed PA smog so clean it barely registered on the machine - it helps that I have a good friend that jetted it to match my setup ahead of time. That was without a Cat or egr either.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Thats neet,,, You have an auto stick...... Just like the VW
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Truck is really pissing me off. I tried to sneak it to the shop last night. And it died on me. Ended up just parking it and got a ride home. Had to call a friend to come help me diagonose the issue. Spark is really weak. Checked the wiring diagram and it seems like it was hooked up backwards, and was switching things around, but the coil got really hot, so something is wrong. Going to re check the diagram and wire it per the diagram.

So am going to clean up all the old carb crap, get rid of all that. Going to check all my wires, check the igniter and the coil and figure out what the hell is going on.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Well we are up and running again. The spark from the old coil was so weak you could stick a screw driver in the boot of a plug wire, grab the screw driver and crank the engine. You could feel the electricity, but it would not shock the stuff out of you. So that is a weak spark. So got another coil, traced all my wires and hooked it up per the diagram and she fired right up on the first crank.

Now I got a power steering leak, This truck is going to drive me insane. I am still battling the SMOG thing, still got a hundred other things to correct on this bastard. I over paid for this truck. New Weber carb, new fuel pump on the way, lines and all that. Coil and tow fees, failed Smog certs,

I still got to adjust the slop out of my steering, check my suspension, probably replace all that. I still need a oil change and trans fluid, rear diff fluid and all that. Finish my exhaust, instal WBo2 and tune in Weber, start interior and body work, start on bed cover, fix my speedo and gauges, clean up my engine bay, still got all the comp controlled stuff in there. Then once all that is sorted out, get another engine rebuilt.

Damn, I am going to be here awhile.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

I finally passed SMOG !!

So now I am all registered and legally able to drive.

Very happy, because now I can focus my attention to fixing the problems and getting this truck right.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Is it a 4WD?
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

I wish

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

I am still waiting for my pump and lines. Right now I am on the stock pump, the tiny little fuel pressure gauge in the feed line holds steady at 3 psi. I am unsure of how accurate it is. I have a constant smell of fuel from the carb, when ever I shut her off. Plus the truck seems to run fine w/ the idle screw only 1 full turn out. So I wonder if the stock pump is over pressurising the carb or my jets are to big, or both.

I'll know soon enough, as soon as my pump gets here I'll also pull out the old stock 02 senser and put in the AEM wide band. At least then I'll be able to see what is going on in there.

I hate waiting for parts. But I do have enough to keep me busy. Still got to scrap all those old vacumn lines, steering slop, power steering leak, trans and diff fluid change, Rear brake cylinder, no dome light or dash lights. Just alot to fix Plus all the diagonstic stuff left to do. Like I said I'll be here awhile.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

I am getting tired of waiting for my parts. Anyone have any experience with the Mr. Gasket pumps they sell at O'Reilly's ? I may just go down and grab one. The back of the box says 2.5 to 3.5 PSI.

On another note, am I okay to run returnless, or do I need to run a return. Right now I am running returnless.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    3 psi is correct. I ran return-less for years. So what it the gear selector on the floor for? Or should I say the shifter on the column?
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

It started life as a auto and some where, some one decided to swap to a manual. They didn't bother to swap steering colums. So I still have a auto steering column. It is on the back burner for me to do something with. Getting my truck running right is top priority right now. I'll do something with it.

Also is there a difference in gearing between the auto's and manual's ?? I'll asume that changing rearends to one from a manual truck is something they also did not do. But if the gearing is the same I'll not even worry about it.

The more time I spend with this truck, the more stuff I find. But even though it is turning out to be a truck in need of some serious corrections I still find myself loving everything about it. Right now time is my biggest enemy, working 6 to 7 days a week is not leaving me alot of free time to work with the truck.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The rear gearing is the same for manual or auto; the speedo gear may be an issue depending on the year of truck the 5 spd came from. 79-84 had 85 mph speedos, 85-86 go to 120, and 87 up go to 115. Somewhere in the archives is the chart for which speedo gear goes with which combo.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Thank you Pennyman for the info, at least I don't have to worry about that.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

hooked up my pvc, truck runs a lot better. I do have a small fuel leak to deal with. More updates and pics coming soon.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    So the PCV helps??? I knew it would after the video conference we had. It's a regulated vacuum leek so when it was plugged off you were to rich. If it's still running rich then 1 or 2 sizes down on the main jet will make a big difference.
    The PCV is on the front of the valve cover. It might have crap built up in it. Did you remove it and clean it out with carb cleaner or gas?
    Last edited by camoit; 10-06-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Actually autos and manual did come with different rear end gears. This is confirmed by my factory service manual and also my auto truck coming with 3.545 gears and my manual and buddies manual trucks coming with 3.909. Personally I like the 3.545 better with my engine swap.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Oh yeah, it is amazing. I went to the auto store and got the pcv valve and a couple inches of hose. I found out I all ready do have a pcv valve in the front valve cover. I just never knew what it looked like, I thought it was just a nipple. So I pulled off the old hose that was capped off w/ a bolt. Ran my new hose to the old pcv valve. So tommorow I'll pull the old pcv and swap in the brand new one.

Also the fuel line is in 4 pieces, so it is leaking from everywhere. So I got like 15 feet of high pressure line that was left over from another project. So I'll run from the pump straight to the carb and cut out the stupid little fuel pressure gauge and then it will be all 1 piece, so no chance of leaks.

Also got a bunch of cool parts for my truck, so I'll post pics after I get them installed

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Be sure that line is very secure from the tank to the carb; some guy in my area ran a rubber fuel line from back to front without watching were it was - He was showing the truck to sell it - after the test drive, it burst into flames and burnt to the ground.
    Pennyman1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast