Array
    Status
    Rva
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Shakes from hell

Just got my new old max back and it has a horrible shake when hitting bumps or anything over 45 it feels like something is really bad and I need some ideas ha

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome to the forum, HOL~
    Shakes from Hell usually come in Vanilla or strawberry only...wait...you're talking automotive

I assume the shaking is in the front end, so you need to inspect all your steering connections and also shocks. A vibration over 45 usually indicates worn universal joints, but front end problems can do the same thing. If it has power steering, a bad PS pump can be the culprit: check the fluid level. Odd as it may sound, if your truck has power steering but the pump has been removed, it would definitely offer the symptoms you describe.

We hope to see some pictures, and hope you report what the problem is when you locate it.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Any other symptoms? Noises/knocks etc? Vibration is usually something out of balance like a wheel or tail shaft or a shot tire/buckled rim. If you got a rattle or knock it's usually a mechanical failure like a ball joint, wheel bearing, tie rod etc.

Array
    Status
    Rva
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well I don't think it's the drive shaft I felt that kind of shake and it definitely feels like the front end I inflated the tires correctly to eliminate them, I don't have any strange noises, it's like smooth as silk unless you hit a bump or try to push pass 45, I'm thinking it may be ball joints but haven't had time to check it out was busy repairing a leaking fuel sending unit on it

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    check the lower control arm and idler arm bushings - they wear on these trucks and will cause your issues.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Rva
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Sounds like it's those I've narrowed it to the passer side, speeds over 50 and bumps on the passenger side makes the sake happen, when it's not shaking I don't feel a lot of play in the steering but I'm just going to grab what I can when I go to work

Array
    Status
    Rva
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Update: it still shakes I changed the upper control arms,lower ball joints, idler arm, sway bar end link, ill probably get the wheels balanced but idk what it would be the hubs spin fine no noise or whinies

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    From speed of 40 - 60 tire Ballance will cause a shake when hitting bumps. This along with warn shocks can make it worse.
    To properly check linkage parts will take 2 people. One person will rock the steering slightly back and forth. (Just about the speed you would rub one out, LOL) No more then 1/8 to 1/4 of a rotation. While the person is rocking it, you look at the tie rods and the parts they connect to. If you see the tie rod move before the part it's bolted to it's bad. I should make a video to show how to check the front end. It would save a bunch of time as this question keeps coming up.
    From there the ball joints are checked with a jack and pry par. You will place the jack under the lower A arm and start to jack up the car. As you take the weight off of the tire and spindle the weight is transferred to the jack. As you hit this point you keep a close eye on the tire. If you see any strange movement IE: the arm goes up with the jack and the tire / spindle relaxes you have a problem. Once it's in the air about 1 inch you can place the pry bar under the tire and lift it. It should not have any free movement between parts. If you have any movement you have bar parts. You are looking for movement other then what should be allowed.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    lower control arm bushings and strut rod bushings - you danced around them, now change them. The LCA bushings go egg shaped, and the strut rod bushings dry out and fall off.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Yup LCA bushings are the first things that start going out.

Array
    Status
    Rva
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Figured it out the wheel was the issue put it on the rear no shakes, I know how to check the ball joints and all that jazz I did that first, when I took it all off all four where toast. the pitman arm, drag link and tie rods where the only things not changed, I've also planned to change the shock rod bushings as mine are cracked, everything that's been changed was phase one

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    You didn't say anything about the lower control arm bushings(not balljoints), and as said those are the first things that get worn and throw alignments and everything else off.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Yep balance or rim out of round. That will do it every time above 30 MPH.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com