Thread: Battery Light on/Grounds/Arcing Wires.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Battery Light on/Grounds/Arcing Wires.

My battery light is on and is losing juice after not being driven for a while. I had the battery and alternator tested and they are both functioning properly. I assume the is a wire arcing somewhere. My question is, are there any common areas where an arc can be found. Also, where are the grounds on this truck?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. You'll find the main ground leads anchored to the battery tray, engine block and frame rails either side of the engine. There are a number of small ground leads anchored to the fender wells and under the dash but the majority of issues are the caused by fouled main ground leads.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    As Geezer mentioned...Welcome to the forum.

I just want to add...if you have a voltage gauge in your truck it should be reading above 12 volts for sure. At night when lights are on and whatever, it should not enter into the negative. If you don't have a volt meter, they are a simple and cheap gauge to install. They can give you accurate readings continuously. I also think your regulator is in the alternator and this can be an inter-mitten issue until it just fails completely.

I hope it is just a ground connection problem and Geezer's info is dead on correct.

With the engine just shut off, the battery voltage should be higher then 12.6v