Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Cam timing mark

I took the time to remove my top timing belt cover to check if I had the timing right. (Had to remove the fan too) I can't get eye level look at it so I took pics. I set it at TDC then clicked and in case I was out 180 I rotated the motor manually and took another pic at TDC. Looking at the pic I seem to be out just a bit. I would like an opinion on that. The rotor looked like it was pointing to number one in the same place each time.

Note; when I replaced the head I zip tied the belt to itself and the cam gear so it did not move. I thought it worked. If I am out a tooth it probably happened when I replaced the timing and balancer belts months previous not when I did the head.
    cam timing mark.jpg cam timing mark 180 forward from last.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Not sure if this matters but the #1 plug was coated in soot and had oil on the threads. I'm hoping that spilled when I did the head. I pulled the others and the all had soot on them but they were dry.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I took out the distributor, set the mark and noticed the rotor spun when I put it in. I took it back out set the mark counter clockwise one gear and it went in and the rotor landed right where it is supposed to be. I closed it all up and it started right away. I tried timing it a bit and it seems ok. I'd still like to know if any of you pros think that cam timing mark is off. I'm pretty sure I got all the marks lined up correctly when I did the belts but ?????

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    What is the crank pulley timing mark location looking like? It isn't out by much and by the time the belt has bedded in a little, the mark will be a lot closer. At the moment all this will be doing is shifting the power band earlier in your rpm range.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    The belt has been on for a few thousand miles. The Crank pulley was at TDC when I took these pics and the rotor was pointing at #1 cylinder. the second pic is after rotating the motor so the rotor made a full circle in case it was 180 out the first time. I went for a drive and it seems like it was idling low at stops. The hood sticker says it should be 700rpm cold and 750 warm. I don't have a tack but it was loping the motor for being so low. And that sticker is where I got the 5degreee BTDC timing standard.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if its loping at idle, turn up the idle screw slightly until it runs smooth. You may have to adjust the idle mixture / idle speed again now that the timing is right.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Okay.