Status
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

New Member from Bremerton,Washington

Current Members of Mightyram50.net,

My name is Conner, I am 21 years old and from Bremerton Washington as you could probably figure out by the title. I am a senior in college with a major in mechanical engineering. I drive a 1988 Dodge Ram 50 with a 2.0L (G63B as I think I have found out) with a 5-speed manual. It is my daily driver and my first vehicle. The truck was bought brand new in 1988 by my old man as the first "brand new" vehicle he ever bought. He then lowered her and made it into a convertible. Unfortunately in 1989 it was wrecked and sat for many years. It was brought back to road shape and painted a dark purple (while not the original intent due to changing styles of painting) by my dad in the late 90's. Due to the wreck the cab had to be replaced losing the convertible top. In 2011 I got it as my first vehicle with only 45k miles, it now has 64k under the condition that I take care of it as my dad no longer likes to drive it as much as he used to.

I have been patrolling these forums for a couple months now reading the many posts about our trucks and the first one that caught my eye is the 4g63t swap. I then spent months researching the swap and what I need. I recently obtained a 1990 Plymouth laser RS Turbo for $500 that will eventually transplant it's soul into my truck after the kinks are worked out of the motor. That is my number one goal for the truck as it was always my dads dream to motor swap a better motor into it and get away from the stock 90ish (not sure on the actual number) horsepower. My goals extend far beyond the blue book value of this truck as it is worth far more to me and my dad to keep it going.

My goals include:
    4g63T swap
    Convertible top
    improved suspension (have not researched enough to chose a route to take)
    Repaint as the paint job is nearing 20 years old and has its problems although I try to hide them in the pictures I take. the paint job will be the true intended color of a dark blue that transitions to a purple depending on how the light hits it.

Those are my goals for my truck. Again, hello to everyone. If you made it through that novel of an introduction I will try to keep as good a record for the process as I can and it will be a slow go as I am in college still. Thank you everyone for providing a great community with lots of ideas to be implemented on the trucks. Happy building and hopefully more of, happy driving.

-Conner

Array
    Status
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    2016-07-07 15.10.14.jpg2016-07-07 15.09.29.jpg
    Here are a couple pictures of my truck as she sits now. A bird was hit and the grill is no longer purple. The color cannot be recreated exactly the same and was a one time mix.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram! That is one niiice truck you own (don't worry about what you see, a picture tells a thousand lies...) For the record the 4G63 made a little more than 100 hp - when they were being raced in stock classes they had to add about 100lbs of ballast to bring it closer to other mini truck power to weight ratios lol. We have a member who is in the process of swapping the engine from their Talon into their MM and it is a beast of an engine. A lightweight truck with a twin cam turbo dropped into it will go like stink. Keep us posted on your progress with the future engine swap and ask questions. There are tons of resource material to look through and members here have written the book on every mod so far conceivable.

Array
    Status
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the warm welcome Geezer and the history lesson on our trucks. The laser is being ripped apart right now. The head has bent valves in cylinder 1 so that will need to be rebuilt before anything. Since I need to pull the head I decided to pull the entire motor and am going to go through the bottom end of the motor to make sure everything is looking good down there. I will make a build thread soon after the motor comes out.