Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    Palmer, AK
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Question HELP trouble shoot an issue with 1988 dodge ram D50 2.0 litter 4cyl

Getting frustrated cause can't figure out this issue, after doing a lot of work to the truck.
    Issue poor acceleration some stalling and dyeing as well. On acceleration worse when cold but does it some when warm as well.

Things that have been done
    Engine rebuild
    Carb rebuild
    new fuel pump and filter
    new water pump
    new plugs and wires
    new distributor cap.
    Visual inspection of vacuum lines looks good though haven't replaced them all yet.

Some possible issues
    egr has been blocked off before i bought it not sure if done right.
    muffler and pipe wired up not sure if catalytic is good or bad.
    read some where that accelerator pump could be an issue but not sure how to check that or if that could be it.

Any one have any ideas on what this could be?
    PS: The rebuilds and egr block off, were done by a friend that I bought the truck from not a certified mechanic so hopefully he did it all right.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If the carb has been rebuilt, the accelerator pump should have a new diaphragm and gasket in it. To check it is dead easy - with the engine off look down the throat of the the carb on the primary throat side (the side with the choke butterfly in it) hold the choke open with your finger and open the throttle up. You should be able to see and hear a squirt of fuel from one corner of the throat (it is much more noticeable with a new diaphragm installed in the accelerator enrichment pump)

The EGR could have a leak in it but it's unlikely. To check it is as simple as spraying carb cleaner over the base of the carb and the manifold while it's running and take note if it affects how it runs. You get an increase in RPM = there's a leak somewhere sucking air into the intake.

A few things to look at: is the fuel float set correctly, the throttle stop and air/fuel mixture adjusted properly and are the fuel lines connected correctly? And is the ignition timing right? It is really difficult to get idle and engine tune right if the timing is out of whack and then the carbs' throttle stop is adjusted to compensate for it. Mixing the order the fuel hoses are hooked up will drastically starve the fuel bowl of adequate flow. Sorry there's a lot to go through, but a combination of small issues will wreak havoc on how everything operates.

Array
    Status
    Palmer, AK
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thank you for your response you gave me some ideas of things I can look in to, the timing is set correctly according to my timing light and the timing belt and every thing looks good. The mixture and idle was adjusted using vacuum/fuel pressure rpm gauge thing ( forget the name of the gauge that was used as I wasn't the one to do it just watched), and looks to be set correctly. So now to check the others things that you mentioned, thanks for your time. If I cant get it by the time I get payed again I might just break down and spend the 90 an hour to get the only certified local mechanic that will even deal with it to see if he can track down the issue and at least let me know what needs fixing or perhaps fix it him self.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There are also some other possible causes I've overlooked - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post49809 Pays to be thorough...