Hi OK so I got the carb working decently enough. I am in the middle of the oil change clean out Geezer101 described in another thread. I drove it 10 miles to run an errand and have it warmed up so the oil carried the solids that were flowing out. Oil was low to start and very black.
I had to replace the drain plug as Jiffy Lube has apparently been stripping it. I had to use vice grips. Got it drained drained the oil filter and put it back on and put the new plug in. Then I poured in half a quart of diesel and 2 quarts of new oil.
I started it up and let it idle, I was a bit worried. It seemed ok and as I waited to hear a disaster I fiddled with the wiring harness in the same places I did just before the temp gauge quit on me. Then I got in ready to go for a drive and it died! Then it would not start. At best it would come to life to burn what was in the carb then die. I jiggled the wiring harness near the battery again, nothing then I tapped on the steering column and finally jiggled some wires under the dash just behind the hood lever. It started!*****
I took a drive through town in slow traffic about 5 miles then Hwy back home with a big hill in it. I figure that 10+ miles is pretty good. I might take it out again later. It wound out to 40mph like it used to in second gear! I guess something was plugged up. The idle has gone off, loping like it wants to die, so I may have to re-time and reset it after the gunk is out and I put in the new oil/filter tomorrow.

So it seems I need to go through the wiring on this thing. I have no idea how to even begin, I'm intimidated by the dash since it seems I broke it and caused myself these electrical issues when I removed/replaced it putting in a radio. Is there a forum for that?