Array
    Status
    Burlington
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

89 ram 50 engine swaps

So i have a 89 ram 50 it has a 2.6L g54b motor with a 5spd manual trans. My 2.6 is not running right the carb is pretty much shot and im burning oil so my question is are there any direct engine swaps to replace my 2.6?

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    its a little more than an engine swap but if you wanted to go with a 2.4l fuel injected from the 1990+ trucks you can swap that in. you would need to swap the wiring harness, ecm, MAF, and install a high pressure fuel pump. everything is really straight forward, just takes some time. if you want to be as original as possible you can go with a 2.0 wide block from the 1989 and down. you will find these in the automatics.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Nothing else will bolt right in and not have to change much. You can put a carbed 2.0 (g63b) to not have to mess with wiring, but you'd have to change tranny/driveshaft/ecu.

As said the 4g64 can be put in and bolt to your tranny, but have to mess with swapping over wiring/sensors

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Unless you're trapped by EPA smog regulations you can ditch the carb for a Weber and make all round improvements. Get a compression test done to reveal what your pistons and rings are like. #1 cause of oil burn are dead valve stem seals (check recent posts and you'll see it is a common issue) so taking the head off and giving it a once over with new valve stem seals and it will cure your problem unless the rings are worn. Bear in mind the 4G54 is not an easy engine to work on in comparison to it's belt driven relatives. If you really want a swap you might be better off finding a wrecked truck with a G63B manual in it and taking the drivetrain out of it. It will eliminate compatibility issues.