Array
    Status
    Paradise, CA
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52

Need a head for G52B 1981 D-50

My father and i are in the process of rebuilding the engine in our 1981 D-50. Unfortunately, we found that the head was cracked out beyond repair...As well as every other head our local auto parts stores can come across. Autozone's website suggest they have quite a few of the correct heads from Surefire, Moore's and American Cylinder Heads, however Autozone's representatives say that they're not actually available anymore despite what the website says.

Also, given that we live in California, smog requirements are very stringent making an engine swap, or excessive modification, or deletion of any smog equipment with the exception of the jet valves nearly impossible (to my understanding of current smog regulations).

So, we're sunk.

Would you guys happen to know where we could find a good condition complete head assembly or core for our truck? Would it be possible to use a 2.6 head on the 2.0 if we absolutely had to?

Attachment 17198
    Attachment 17195
    Attachment 17196

We're also looking for another cylinder head breather grommet. The rubber peeled apart when trying to remove it. A local auto parts store tried to hokie something together, but we'd much rather have a proper condition one if possible.

Attachment 17194

We're also curious if anyone had a grill that would fit it. The truck got rear ended and pushed into the car in front of it many years ago and it destroyed the grill, but we never did get a new one for it. We were curious if anyone had grill or knew of the location of one.

Hope to hear from you guys.
    Thanks in advance,
    Don & Andy

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I know you can put a 2.0 head on a 2.6. So why not the other way around. Pennyman?
    Sorry but you will need to re upload the photos. It went into moderation and the system dropped them.
    After like 7 posts the system will stop scanning you.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...On-A-G54B-2-6L
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    try these guys http://www.ramscyl.com/index5.htm They accept broken heads as core. I used them for my 2.0 and they were great, very helpful.

Array
    Status
    Paradise, CA
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    I know people like to put 2.0 heads on 2.6's, but i'm concerned about if it'll be able to pass smog like that. Thanks for tip, 85Ram50. We'll check with them and see if they can help us out!

These are the pictures that i uploaded. I couldn't figure out how to edit the OP:

Head:
    CAM00155.jpgCAM00154.jpgCAM00153.jpgCAM00152.jpg

Breather Grommet(?)
    20160624_192627.jpg20160624_192653.jpg

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You can swap a 2.6 head on a 2.0 IF it is from a 79 - 81 2.6 from a truck - it will drop the compression 1/2 point. The hot trick in the early days was to use the 2.0 head on the 2.6 to raise the compression 1/2 to 1 point. You may have to get a rubber molding kit from Eastwood to remake that grommet. I have a spare 2.6 head from an 80 or 81 truck, but I haven't looked at it in a while to see if it is any good. If you go for the non jet valve heads, you will have to get a newer intake manifold, as the bolt pattern is totally different, and it would probably fail Cali visual inspection.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Paradise, CA
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    Thank you pennyman and 85Ram50. We sent our damaged head off to Rams Cylinder Heads and Ivan sounds extremely confident that he can repair it.

In the event he can't, however, what all goes into putting a 2.6 head on the 2.0 engine? Would it just be a bolt-on, or would it require a new intake and exhaust manifold, modifying the bolt pattern, ect?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if the head is from a 79 - 81 truck, it is a direct bolt on - all parts bolt on the same.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^possible drop in compression

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Glad I could be of help.

Array
    Status
    Lewiston Idaho
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I realize that this is an older post, but I too am finding it difficult to locate a 2.0 head as that is what someone has put on my 80 D50 with a 2.6

Wasn't until I sent Steve at Top-End Performance in California some pictures of my head that we discovered my head is a 2.0 G52B Chain Drive Jet-Valve head. My truck has the under hood labels for the 2.6 G54B engine. I am not concerned with gaining any compression so am open to going with either head as long as we can find the correct valve cover to go with the head as the 2.0 and 2.6 do not share a valve cover from what I have been able to find. If I have to stay with the jet-valve head, then I will get the block off kit. I just want the thing to run reliably. I didn't buy it to sit in my driveway taunting me....

Any help from you all would be greatly appreciated, as I have wasted the better part of a day at work trying to locate some parts.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I have the valve cover you need for the head you have. I also have an early 2.6 head that is in unknown condition sitting in my Ex-wifes garage that I can get and look at it to see if it is any good. AS I look at your head, it has the jet valve eliminators already installed. Let me know if you want me to check the head out.
    Pennyman1