Array
    Status
    Ohio
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Spark Plugs

So as work continues on my truck my father brought to my attention that the spark plugs I am using are too cold for my setup. I'm running a twin Mikuni 2.6L and it backfires like crazy and my current plugs foul up quickly. I know that the carbs are running a little on the richer side, but he told me he used to run some hot plugs that had a green ceramic and had a tip similar to a splitfire plug. I am currently running some standard Champion RN12YC plugs with an accel super coil. Any suggestions (besides leaning out the carbs, that's on the list)?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The twin Mikunis were part of a performance package. They require their own cam and I've got a feeling the distributor was sprung differently as well. Even the secondary vac actuators on the carbs were sprung differently too. I would start by using NGK's or Denso plugs with a higher heat range (maybe disconnecting the vac advance and capping it off...?) I think you're going to need your distributor modified so the engine will have a better tune.

Array
    Status
    Ohio
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    The twin Mikunis were part of a performance package. They require their own cam and I've got a feeling the distributor was sprung differently as well. Even the secondary vac actuators on the carbs were sprung differently too. I would start by using NGK's or Denso plugs with a higher heat range (maybe disconnecting the vac advance and capping it off...?) I think you're going to need your distributor modified so the engine will have a better tune.
    I'll look into the distributor, any specific NGK's or Denso's you recommend?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I couldn't recommend a particular plug for the twin carbs, sorry. I thin you'll need to go up 1 with the heat range and either buy a pregapped plug 0.9mm or regap them yourself with feeler gauges as I've done. I've always used NGK's when replacing plugs and found them pretty solid.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    with NGKs for each number up is a 1/2 step range colder - odd but true.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Sorry about the confusion I might've caused - pennyman is correct. If you want to know how to decipher codes on NGK spark plugs check it out here http://www.ngk.com.au/spark-plugs/pr...mbering-system

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Post that to the manuals section, Geezer
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980