Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Hello and a question.

New user thanks for adding me. I have a 1985 single cab Dodge Ram 50 with 4 who drive and the Diesel engine. My frame has rust so I'm looking at buying a 1983 single cab ram 50 4 who drive and a gas engine. Anyone know if I could flip my diesel drive train to the 1983 gas frame ? Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Short answer to your question is yes, it can be done. Swap everything that is relevant from the diesel into the donor frame and you should be geared to go.

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Hey RRanger, geezer is correct. I am actually in the midst of doing that same thing at this very moment. I haven't updated for a few weeks because of work busyness but I will be back at it this weekend. Here's a link:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...to-Diesel-Swap

The only major difference between my build and yours is that mine is a 2WD and so that simplifies things a bit. I'll try and keep things updated, simple, and descriptive to help others with the same idea.

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Wait... I just read your post again. Are you talking just the drive train or the motor and everything? I'm pretty certain that the gear ratios are different in the diesel rear end versus the gas rear end. I'll let you know when I look for myself. And for the 2WD, the transmissions are different so the driveshafts are different lengths as well.

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spence View Post
    Wait... I just read your post again. Are you talking just the drive train or the motor and everything? I'm pretty certain that the gear ratios are different in the diesel rear end versus the gas rear end. I'll let you know when I look for myself. And for the 2WD, the transmissions are different so the driveshafts are different lengths as well.

I'm actually still looking for a truck like mine diesel 4 wheel drive. So I can use the engine and drive train parts off mine if need be. I'm assuming any Dodge 4x4 would be the easiest transfer. Couple of questions.
    1) any gas one would work assuming I changed rear ends and complete drive train? And then the wiring and dash hookups.
    2) how are Mitsubishis as changeovers? Same frame, cabs ect?