Thread: Oil leak in the front, not the camshaft seal, so I will have to replace front case?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Oil leak in the front, not the camshaft seal, so I will have to replace front case?

Hi all,

My truck is a 1993 mighty max with 4G64 engine. It runs good and never let me down. The only thing is it leaks oil pretty bad. I thought it was the camshaft seal, but I have replace that seal twice it still leaks. A lot of oil on the alternator. I am thinking of the oil pump / front case. Looks like the front case is the oil pump, correct me if im wrong. It could also be silent shaft seals... I will have to fix it. Any suggestions? And yes i have checked PCV. It works. And I have put on new valve cover gasket and put rtv around. Shouldn't be leaking around the head or the camshaft seal.... The only place is the front case... Is it gonna be a big job? I have changed clutch and timing belt, water pump, lash adjusters on this truck before. I know this truck quite good, but I have never dealt with the front case....Any suggestions or inputs are highly appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You got a leak in one (or more...) of the oil pump housing shaft seals. It's not a 'huge' job and doesn't require you removing the oil pump assembly if you're careful. It will take removal of all belts and pulleys for a visual inspection for the offending seal and gently prying the seal out from around the shaft (crank, balance shafts etc) using seal pick tools. The belts will more than likely be fouled up from oil anyway so you'll have to do this as part of the repairs. Apply oil to the shaft and slip the seal around it, then press it in squarely until it seats correctly (be careful not to scar the exposed shaft with any tools or damage the lips on the seals during installation)
    Should be a cake walk if you know your engine well