Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8

Another Option for Carbs on the 2.6

Tired of the Mikuni? Don't want to shell out a fortune for a Weber?

Carter BBD from a Chrysler "Super 6" (225cid Slant 6) or Chrysler Small Block 318cid Can be found on virtually every 318 from the 1960's (1967) to 1979. After 79 they started using a Holley 2BBL (emissions carb) that looks almost identical to the Carter BBD and shares the same bolt pattern.

It's the perfect size for a Stock to Modded 2.6L, more tuning options/adjustments.

Mine is from a 1975 Dodge W300 (4x4) ClubCab Wrecker/Towtruck with a 318/NP435 4-Speed/NP203 Transfer Case

The following modifications need to be done to fit it on the 2.6, and the following parts too.

Parts :

1 Base Plate from a Mikuni (this will be your adapter used to block off the water port in the intake, the EGR and so forth)
    1 Carter BBD (from a 318 or a 225 Super-6)
    A small Section of 1/4" Flat Steel (to make a Throttle Cable Bracket)
    Manual Choke Cable or an Electric Choke Kit for the BBD
    Fuel Hose (5/16")
    Steel Line & Fitting (5/16")
    Hose Clamps
    Vacuum Caps
    1 2.6L Carb-Intake Gasket (for the Mikuni)
    1 BBD Carb-Intake Gasket (for a 318. Make sure it's the Thick gasket)

Modifications :

Remove the Throttle Blades from the Mikuni Base (leave the rods in place though)
    Place a dab of epoxy on the Base, around the rods.
    Fill in the Vacuum ports (or cap them)
    Ream the Bolt Holes on the BBD inward by 1/8" (the bolt holes are slightly closer together on the Mikuni)
    Cap off the PCV Port on the Intake Manifold, since you'll be using the port on the base of the BBD (plus the hose on the intake will interfere with the throttle linkage/arm if it's left in place)
    Bolt on the Throttle Arm from the Mikuni, onto the Carter BBD Throttle Arm (the holes are already there to bolt it on )

Replace the Gasket under the Mikuni Base, Set the Base in place, position the Thick gasket for the BBD over the Mikuni Base, Bolt the Carter BBD on backward (like in my picture). Route your Fuel Line & Hose, Route the Throttle Cable around the Oil Cap and back toward the Carb (this will allow you to reuse the stock throttle cable)

Mount your throttle cable bracket to the Stud that sticks up out of the valve cover, it's in the perfect location to match up with the end of the throttle cable casing, where the mounting nuts are. Hook up the Choke, and use whatever Aircleaner (for a 2BBL) that you'd like

In my truck, the clearance is pretty tight, because of the Hydroboost Brakes, there will be more room on a truck with the factory Vacuum Booster & Master Cylinder. With the Hydroboost i had to use a small low-profile 4BBL Aircleaner adapted to fit a 2BBL.

Start it up. You may or may not have to adjust the Metering Rods (under the metal cover on top of the carb) and you may or may not have to adjust the mixture screws (facing the firewall).

It was almost perfect (with the stock 318 settings) for my 2.6L

Cost? I didn't have so much as a penny invested in it I had all the parts on the shelf. But for the average person, probably $50 - 60. Carter BBD's are generally thrown away by the Dodge Crowd when they convert to 4BBL, the rebuild kit is around $15.

I didn't want to buy a Weber, since the 2.6L is only a temporary engine until i finish rebuilding my 4D56 Turbo Diesel. But I will say the difference between the Mikuni & the Carter is night & day. The truck fires up at the tap of a key, idles great (none of that pulsing that most 2.6's do at an idle). Throttle response is instant, it doesn't run rich (like most mikuni's do at an idle), it doesn't load up. It's almost like the BBD was made for the 2.6

All in all, it took me about an hour to install the BBD. That included the time i spent searching the garage for all the parts, and tuning/adjusting it too.

Array
    Status
    Dallas, OR
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Hey there 74dusted,
    I'm about to change my Mikuni to the Carter as you suggested in your post. What vacuum connections can I delete/cap/remove from the original Mikuni set-up? Thanks, Jim

Array
    Status
    NW mississippi yall
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Dodge V8
    What the heck is all that other shtuff on yer engine?

I modded a conquest intake to adapt a rochester 2bbl a while back. Just never welded it up and ti's just sitting
    E

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    my first new car was a 1979 superbowl 13 edition volare duster with the stupid six in it and that carter carb. The carb was so bad, it was rebuilt 4 times in 18k miles and needed rebuilt again when I traded that turd in on Geronimo - that is where the sig line " the best dodge that dodge never made" came from. The Weber is 10 times the carb that carter could ever dream to be - now weber owns carter.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Cara Grande AZ
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    R U available to answer some questions about this procedure?? Thanks very much.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Wow, yet another 'thread from the dead'. First up, this is one gawdawful carb install. There shouldn't be hoses and wiring all over the place - especially with the coil that close to everything. It is a recipe for disaster - add steaks and hotdogs to finish it off. Secondly, the idea of swapping the carb is to make it an improvement. The Mikuni, although strangling engine performance, was a reliable carb unlike the Carter. Check out the number of threads outlining the Weber carb swap. It ticks all the boxes as far as simplicity, reliability and all round improvement to engine performance and fuel economy
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    a few years back, I adapted a holley 5200 carb to a nissan 2.4L pickup. Start, ran an drove fine. ~$78 ebay iirc
    oem application was early chevy vega 2.3 4cyl. I fabbed an aluminium plate/adapter & moded the throttle linkage
    Owner didn't wannna shell out the ~$380 for a weber 'kit'. The holley looks nearly identical to the weber 32/36

my 1st car was a 2.3 chevy vega 1977 model. Ultra reliable, zero failures, drove fine many miles. I think they liked me

Array
    Status
    Cara Grande AZ
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Is there anyone in Nevada or Arizona who can perform this mod for me???