Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55

4d55 random power loss

Hey ,

On my 86 ranger I occasionally have a loss of power and stall. Feels like air in fuel, and I put in some clear lines after fuel filter and before ip. No noticeable stream of bubbles entering, but when it happened today there was a definite air pocket in the line. Usually just takes 5 or so times starting it and dying then all the sudden it's fine. Recent fuel filter change. Weird how it's so random, hasn't happened in 3 or so months. Next thought is boost pump getting weak.
    Any feedback appreciated.
    Cheers!

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    possible if your fuel filter or pickup is clogging, it might be pulling air around the fuel inlet to IP at the hose clamp, in which case you wouldnt really see the air in the clear lines

Array
    Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55
    New fuel filter just before this started so I wouldn't think its clogging. And what do u mean by pickup? I pulled off the line entering the IP, and turned the key to engage lift pump. It started pushing fuel but with pretty low pressure, like a weak stream just dripping out. Seems to me like it should be pushing a solid stream of fuel...
    Any reccomendations on pumps for these engines?

Cheers

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmuirhead9 View Post
    New fuel filter just before this started so I wouldn't think its clogging. And what do u mean by pickup? I pulled off the line entering the IP, and turned the key to engage lift pump. It started pushing fuel but with pretty low pressure, like a weak stream just dripping out. Seems to me like it should be pushing a solid stream of fuel...

Cheers
    No recommendation here, because on the Mitsubishis, they don't even use a lift pump ... it all just gets drawn from the IP.

Since you do have a lift pump, and it provides a weak stream.... well, that sounds kind of like a clog to me.... I wonder if you could turn the pump around and try to squirt fresh fuel back through the lines into the tank, just to see if anything gets unclogged?

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmuirhead9 View Post

Cheers
    Where the line picks up fuel in the tank, the pickup tube. It may be clogged

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Old fuel line is starting to crack and suck air.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com