Array
    Status
    MN
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

What's this hose?

'88, 2.6L MM. Under the carb. Anyone know? (of course you do) Thanks!

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    That's the external coolant hose from the auto choke to the recirculation barb on the base of the carb. Got issues with it or just had to know?

Array
    Status
    MN
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks! It blew this morning. No one at the parts store knew what it was so they couldn't look it up, and didn't have 3/8" coolant hose anyway. They ended up selling me overflow hose, which I'm not going to leave on there because I assume it's not rated to take actual pressure, but I just needed to complete the circuit so I could test for a HG leak, which fortunately came up negative. Now I know what to ask for when calling around for another one. Thanks again!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah it's just a length of heater hose you would normally cut off a roll, not a part you'd need to order in especially. If it blew there might be something else going on in there. The coolant basins in the manifolds can get clogged up and go funky from debris and rust chunks from the engine block - they can even corrode out and leak from underneath (it was a common problem).

Array
    Status
    MN
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    The old hose crumbled in my hands when I unscrewed the hose clamp, so I'm hoping it's just that the thing hasn't been changed in a very long time. I don't drive it much so I'm still catching stuff the previous owner neglected as I get to it.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    it also could have been original and finally went - had that happen to my Prelude one day - heater hose was so soft it completely ripped off the motor. It blew in the middle of summer, so the flow was deadheaded to the heater.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Gotta love the attention to maintenance that these trucks have endured over their lifetime. More than likely it's never been replaced which would also point towards the carb never being rebuilt or replaced either.

Array
    Status
    MN
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    point towards the carb never being rebuilt or replaced either.
    Yeah, that frightens me. I'm used to fuel injection. It'll be a... Learning experience when that job needs to be done.

It's had odd work done to it. Someone along the line installed an oil pressure gauge, which was a smart thing to do and shows they know something about this engine. One front brake hardline was almost brand new. The other was original until I broke it by breathing too hard on it.

But they powered its light by cramming a wire in to a fuse, which shows they're dopes.

It's been an adventure getting the thing into "Good Enough" shape.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah the Mikuni is loathed by most people - it's complex to pull down, it's expensive to get rebuilt by a shop, the auto chokes and secondary vac actuators are prone to failure due to their age, they give ordinary fuel economy and they strangle the engine. You can MPI these engines using the Oz built Magna intakes (with a bit of surgery to the plenum) so if you're keen, there's a way.

Array
    Status
    MN
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    It's certainly something I'd look into. I'm putting up with a slightly rough idle just because I don't want to sink too much money into what was a very cheap truck bought to do yard projects, but I suspect that will get worse over time and need addressing. I've already replaced plugs/wires/coil/igniter which made it much smoother, but it doesn't run as well as I would want from my regular vehicles.

I also need to address a crack in the exhaust header. Don't really want to pay a shop to custom-fab one for me, but no one has the part anymore.