Thread: Gear Ratio difference in Gas and Diesel 2WD?

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Gear Ratio difference in Gas and Diesel 2WD?

So I have done some searching and read the wiki on gear ratios, but it never clarified if there was any difference in gear ratios between the gas and diesel 2WD models. I just would like to not have to swap rear ends if I can help it, but it makes sense in my head that the diesel model would have a lower ratio to keep the rpms down. I haven't check on the axle tags (if they are present) but thought I'd throw it out there. Anyone know?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    there are only 2 ratios for the 1st gen 2wds in the US - 3.91 and 3.55. Not sure which the diesel has. You could just swap the axles , leafs and all to keep it matching...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    If occasion permits I'd like to leave the axle that is already on the truck, as it is rust free and the spacers/plastic bushings on the leaf springs are still in good shape. I think I'll just jack up the truck and have someone turn the wheel a revolution and I'll just count the number of turns the driveshaft turns. Hopefully they're the same. One less thing to worry about. Thanks for the the info nonetheless Pennyman.