Array
    Status
    British Columbia
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Finally found one

So I've been looking for a first-gen Ram 50 for a long time and I finally found one so I figured I should join. I've been a big fan of these trucks ever since I was a kid because my dad had a 1980 D-50 Sport, still have it actually but it's only good for parts. Anyway the truck I've got is a 1986 Power Ram 50 with a manual transmission and I believe an LSD (there's no sticker in the door but it looks like there was one on the diff). I've got some...interesting plans for it.

I'm also into watercooled VW's, which is where the name comes from. They have 20, 16, and 8 valve 4-cylinders and I'm building an 8 valve but that name was taken wherever I was going to use it, ergo AteValve.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to mightyram. Good to see Mitsubishis (albeit badge engineered) are in the family. Let us know what your big plans are as there will be no doubt someone who has either done it, is doing it or has thought about it already. Ask questions - and post pics!

Array
    Status
    British Columbia
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks! The plan is to go lower, improve the handling, probably a 2wd conversion, and to give it sort of an OEM+ look then to fuel inject and turbo it sticking with the 2.6. I'm probably not going to use Starion injection as I'm told it's not great from a performance perspective, I'm thinking Megasquirt and a custom intake might be the way to go.

And because I think it's going to come up, despite going the on-road route I started with a 4WD for a couple of reasons. A) everything is a bit beefier, B) it comes with a G54B by default, and C) I found a truck without much rust that happened to be 4WD

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You can use the EFI manifold from the Australian 2.6 Magna engine. It's a popular mod and works well with a programmable ECU if you are planning a turbo in the mix. The throttle body needs to be swapped from end to end as it is configured for FWD but you may even be lucky enough to get one that has already been modded.