Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T

ticking valves

Anyone have anything I can try to get these damn obnoxious hydraulic valve lifters to stop ticking? I have already bought 8 new ones from parts store and bled them and put them in. It was quiet for a little while and now the ticking is back. Changed oil and all that and nothing, tried lucas oil stabilizer with oil change and nothing. After next oil change they were still ticking so I decided to try addingsome sea foam to the oil and the ticking stopped for a while ten came back, tried sea foam again and it didn't help. Don't know what else to try to get these things to be quiet.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    i dont know much about these engines..but i do know that some have a tensioner type thing in them and it can cause them to tick/tap a little if its bad or something...
    ^^^
    its b/c the loss of pressure somewhere...

maybe they need adjustment?
    dont really know what it is..im not a motor guy unless its a honda or acura!!>>
    might be completely wrong to ....

just throwing things out there...bumping the thread up for ya.
    good luck

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Are they located under the cam or is there an arm working them? If they are under the cam I don't think there is an adjustment for them, but IDK.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    The hydraulic lifters are making noise? Someone on her might have the info on switching them out with manual lifters. With the dsm drivetrain, we swap them out to the 3G lifters or 3rd revision lifters. The opening on top of the lifter is larger for more oil to pass through and eliminates it. I am not sure if the revised lifters for the dsm 4g63 is compatible so might have to find the info on the solid lifters from older trucks.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    This is for a 2.6(g54b) btw. They are in the rocker arm, instead of having a screw and being adjustable thy have a hydrualic adjuster that does it by itself.

Array
    Status
    Laporte, IN
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    http://www.b2600turbo.com/stock_camshaft_id.htm

this should do the trick for ya.

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Have you replaced the valve seals, and valve guides or just the lifters? I would look into new valves, seals, and guides. They are fairly cheap. The exhaust valves you might have a little difficulty finding. I think i ended up having to order mine online, cause Orielly's didnt carry them anymore.

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    i wouldnt worry about re bleeding them with something different.....some people dont even bleed them......they will "pump up" on their own if you let it run long enough.....check oil pressure, make sure the pressure is correct.....i dont know what it sould be....cam might be worn some...how many miles on engine.....i dont think ive seen many mitsu trucks that didnt tick at idle...lol..Actually running a detergent thru the engine might be in the right direction...oil passages might be restricted some and not forcing correct amount of oil to the lash adjusters.....

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    The only thing ive bought were hydrualic lash adjusters. The ticking isn't really bad at idle, its when im driving. I've already ran some cleaners/detergents through it, it helped them stay quiet for a few days then it came back. I don't want to buy any new parts per the reason I stated a few posts ago. Im just going to not worry about it, I've already bled them a bunch of times, cleaned the rocker arms and their oil passages, etc so im just saying screw it. Goin to throw some new oil (a little thicker viscosity) and filter and and be done with it.