Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T

ticking valves

Anyone have anything I can try to get these damn obnoxious hydraulic valve lifters to stop ticking? I have already bought 8 new ones from parts store and bled them and put them in. It was quiet for a little while and now the ticking is back. Changed oil and all that and nothing, tried lucas oil stabilizer with oil change and nothing. After next oil change they were still ticking so I decided to try addingsome sea foam to the oil and the ticking stopped for a while ten came back, tried sea foam again and it didn't help. Don't know what else to try to get these things to be quiet.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    i dont know much about these engines..but i do know that some have a tensioner type thing in them and it can cause them to tick/tap a little if its bad or something...
    ^^^
    its b/c the loss of pressure somewhere...

maybe they need adjustment?
    dont really know what it is..im not a motor guy unless its a honda or acura!!>>
    might be completely wrong to ....

just throwing things out there...bumping the thread up for ya.
    good luck

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Are they located under the cam or is there an arm working them? If they are under the cam I don't think there is an adjustment for them, but IDK.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    The hydraulic lifters are making noise? Someone on her might have the info on switching them out with manual lifters. With the dsm drivetrain, we swap them out to the 3G lifters or 3rd revision lifters. The opening on top of the lifter is larger for more oil to pass through and eliminates it. I am not sure if the revised lifters for the dsm 4g63 is compatible so might have to find the info on the solid lifters from older trucks.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    This is for a 2.6(g54b) btw. They are in the rocker arm, instead of having a screw and being adjustable thy have a hydrualic adjuster that does it by itself.

Array
    Status
    Laporte, IN
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    http://www.b2600turbo.com/stock_camshaft_id.htm

this should do the trick for ya.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I have already bought all new adjusters and bled them before I posted this. It is still doing it

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    So thats how they did it.. I would check the oil pressure at the shaft to see if it is high enough.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Be sure the intake and exhaust manifolds are tight and sealing - an exhaust leak will sound just like a ticking valve.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Yes have already made sure no exhaust or intake leaks, it is definitely the lifters as I have got them to quiet down before but it came back. Am gonna bleed them again tomorrow.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    my dad says it could be that pressure is not holding and causing it to do that...his toyota does it..its all hyraulic tensioning or whatever...he hasnt fixed it yet.

hes gonna be getting to it soon..i sold my motor just to have a reason to throw a sbc in my max:D

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Ok when I bled them originally I used regular motor oil. The link wrngwae posted says DIESELD FUEL/FLUID and my factory service manual says Diesel Oil. Which one should I use to re-bleed these? Thanks for all the help guys hoping this will sort it out

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Ok when I bled them originally I used regular motor oil. The link wrngwae posted says DIESELD FUEL/FLUID and my factory service manual says Diesel Oil. Which one should I use to re-bleed these? Thanks for all the help guys hoping this will sort it out
    never new to use that/those...either way...
    then again i never worked on one of these..and def. never read the manual...

hope it works out..

Array
    Status
    Laporte, IN
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    the most important thing is to get all the junk out of the lifters....that is where all the trash sits.....and make sure your oil feeds thru the head are clear too. from the caps to the rocker arms and every where else...

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Glad to see all this little info coming out...hope this ticking goes away for you man...

keep posting guys im learning a little with each one...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Another option I use is to add Rislone to the engine oil - its a super detergent additive for oil that has been around since the 50's for these kind of problems. Had several AMC 6 bangers that are notorious for valvetrain noise that quieted right down with the stuff. Others on here tried it and got more power to boot.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Any luck with those lifters? I have the same issue on mine, i can get them too quiet down for a little using Lucas Oil Stabilizer, but other than... no luck.... I even replaced the whole head and put new lifters, valves, seals, had it all machined, everything in there, and it still does it! Only when its idleing though. if i rev it or during normal operation it either gets quiet or just gets droaned out by the exhaust!... lol
    Last edited by Ram50Man; 04-14-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added info

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Nope, no luck. Mine gets louder as the rpms go up, its pretty damn annoying. Its kinda seemed as if my rocker arms on the 4th cylinder were a little wore out were the adjusters go. Might see if I can get some at the junkyard sometime and see if that will fix it. Other than that I don't know.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    I've researched a bit on this. I didn't really like what I found but I can post it anyway. A few people added a bit of trans fluid to their oil as a cleaner. I would do this to my own car, just wondering if anyone else heard of this.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    yeah 4doorciv...i have done that many times....i can remember my grandpa doing that back in the day..i guess it has gotten passed down...

works also..

well good luck man on this...the way these engines are they are just hassle and thats why i sold my low mileage swap a long time ago..

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    you know i think i remember my Dad telling me about that a long time ago, and he is a mechanic, with his own shop. I never did try it though. I use additives in my oil, so i was afraid if i start mixing all that crap in the oil, they would have a bad reaction with one another or some crap.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If you go on ebay there are new rockers for cheap there - do you really want to spend the time to drive to the yard, tear down a motor if you can find one, then go home take apart and install the parts, then find out the parts you got are as bad or worse than what you had? Get new parts and do the job right.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    If you go on ebay there are new rockers for cheap there - do you really want to spend the time to drive to the yard, tear down a motor if you can find one, then go home take apart and install the parts, then find out the parts you got are as bad or worse than what you had? Get new parts and do the job right.
    Thats a good point there! I ran into this situation when I was rebuilding my engine.... ended up costing me twice the time and money, to replace the used parts i bought with new parts.... needless to say the Household Boss Lady wasnt too pleased!

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Do I really want to spend money on new parts for this motor when its just gonna get swapped out for my 4g63t soon? I already added some cleaners to my oil, didn't work. Its not really that big of a deal as I don't plan on keeping this motor just really annoyed at everyone staring at me wih my annoying ass sounding truck lol.

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I thought you had the 4g63t in already?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast