Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Noticed something while doing sumptin else

So I was just changing my wires cap rotor and both battery cables adding a ground from frame to block. I noticed that there is a heavy gas smell on the right front side around the canister. It probably needs a new filter even though the AC and smog stuff was removed. Is it possible my return line has been crossed and I have the pump sending gas meant to return to tank to the canister? It looks like the line goes across the firewall then drops to the driver side of the brake master cylinder I assume it runs back to the tank from there.

The new wires and cables seem to make it run smoother, blinkers are working and no electric bugs anymore (yea). Still not right though. Rock Auto cap with the brass contacts is cracked! And the NGK wires are just barely long enough to fit, no slack at all. At least they have the numbers on them.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Your canister may be clogged, or the vacuum line to activate the draw to the carb may be split or not opening the valve for vapor draw on startup. Are you sure the wires they gave you are for the 2.0? they may have given you the ones for either the 2.6 or the car 2.0 - both are different.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I got the wires from Rock Auto using the 2.0 section. Where would I look for this vacuum line? I think there is only one line from the carb to the distributor.

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    If its just a vacuum line take it to the parts store and they can cut you one to length. Also cut the tips off of it to get the true diameter usually the tips expand after being on a fitting for 30 years

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by t97 View Post
    If its just a vacuum line take it to the parts store and they can cut you one to length. Also cut the tips off of it to get the true diameter usually the tips expand after being on a fitting for 30 years
    Thanks, I know where to buy it I mean; Where is it on the carb? I honestly expect I do not have one. I want to know so I can check to see if it should be there.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Funny story, I went to the store today and it was acting weird. The blinkers weren't working. I stopped at a auto parts store to borrow a tool thinking the timing was off, found out the number 2 wire had popped off the distributor! I had driven all the way across town with 3 cylinders.
    It didn't want to go on either. Its like the boot is squeezing the pillar and pulling itself off by sliding up the cone of the pillar. I had put electrical lube on the tip for better contact. Put it back on and the blinkers work.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...say what How does that even work? The plug leads being a little short is probably causing #2 lead to vibrate off from tension. You might have to re-route the leads over the rocker cover to get some slack (yes it's not ideal but having the leads pulled tight isn't much better)

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the g63bs I have seen are routed over the valve cover.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    the g63bs I have seen are routed over the valve cover.
    That's interesting. Both the 4G63's from the Gen 1 trucks I have are routed across the front of the cam sprocket cover and around the rocker cover. Might be the difference in USDM trucks.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Round the front on mine

1.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    SAM_0702.jpg Here is an old picture, the onl;y diff is the wires are blue now, I have the OE air cleaner mounted on the Weber and I have a metal fan shroud. There are mounts for the wires that run along the top of the valve cover and then on the corner of the timing belt cover just behind the distributor.