Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8

The Fordubishi

I picked up this truck 17 years ago for $150 figuring I could rebuild the engine and have a parts truck for my shop.The rebuild was stupid money at the time so as a joke I grabbed an 85 302 out of a T-bird that was totaled. Got the thing on the road and had a blast kicking "ricers" butts with it. Then 11 years ago I was hit by a drunk driver who merged into my lane taking out the passenger front end (I wasn't hurt at all just PISSED)
    A few months later I found a rust free 83 cab and bought it for $39.99 from a local junk yard.Well next thing you know the frame is stripped, air ride put in, 4 link, 7.5" 3.45posi (Ranger axle) gas tank relocated,full mandrel bent 2.5" duel exhaust,AOD with 2400 stall and a stage 2 shift kit,modified BBK Mustang headers, and 5 lug front conversion. there the truck sat for a few years.
    Then I was lucky and found a set of 66 289 4v HO heads and its engine upgrade time.Put in a new cam (Ford A312) windage tray,anti-pump up lifters,roller rockers and a few things to let the engine run to 8000 rpm.Again the truck sat for a few more years
    in the last 6months I have been working on it again and with luck will be on the street again in 3-4 months
    Photobucket.com/fordubishi you can check out all the work so far to date. I update it every few days with new pic's

Original build
    D-50 F-L.jpg
    New Cab and engine mods
    Engine In .jpg
    New duel exhaust
    X Mem Painted.JPG

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Oh,,Ya,, I can see another front page 5 star build thread coming.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Garden Valley, CA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    i like interior work.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Thats good stuff man!

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    nice. .....i would be on the front page...but too lazy and besides i dont like attention..its just a truck......anyways .keep us posted on this long term project, It is reall cool to see something with a lot of time and work come to the end and be on the road again. GOOD LUCK

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Oh and 1 more thing...that is a pretty cool name you got for your truck.project

Array
    Status
    Danville, VA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Nice truck ive got a few questions for you. What motor mounts are you using. Why didnt you use a dual hump pan? Last one with a ranger rear end, which drive shaft are you useing and did you have to mod it any. Thanks

-Mike

Array
    Status
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    Wow, I think I saved about 15 of those pics for my "awesome mini trucks" folder... The assembled frame with motor reminds me of a hardcore R/C chassis with those bright colours and white wheels. I love it! Very inspirational!

-RHP

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    thanks guys. to answer a few questions here goes.........

the engine mounts are stock replacement 79-83 Fox body, the frame mounts are made from 3"x1/2" flat bar welder to the factory engine mount location.

IMGP0009.jpg

The oil pan is a 60's- late 70's front sump so it clears everything with no mod's needed

IMGP0007.jpg

The drive shaft is a 1 piece 2.5" diameter thick wall tube with Mustang U-joints and flanges

IMGP0010.jpg

yeah the name was of course a play on words as the whole drive line is Ford and the body being a Mitsubishi we started calling it either the POS or the Fordubishi as a joke and the name stuck.

if you have any other questions I'll answer what I can
    Last edited by Fordubishi; 09-01-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Couple of pic's of the cab back on the frame after 5 years WOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!! as of 10 minutes ago

Cab on Frame.jpg

Cab on Frame 2.jpg

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    A few more pic's of the cab mounted

Body Shot.jpg

Body Shot 2.jpg

Body Shot 3.jpg

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I hope this site has inspired you to get back on this project. Your build is gaining viewers and new fans every day. It's looks like you are going to have a nice truck once she is done. Keep us updated. Everybody loves explanations of how you over come the problems.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    It sure is nice to see other nut cases like me doing odd ball trucks. Everybody and their dog has built a SBC S-10, Windsor powered Ranger or a Toyota powered by everything and anything as any idiot can order all the parts online and bolt it together.Now don't get me wrong I don't mind them but I would rather see weird stuff the the owner had to take time to "build" the truck then going to "Bob's bolt on goodies.com" and just order everything they need.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If you are like me, who has owned the same truck since new, a deep appreciation of the work it takes and the imagination and creativity to make it happen is what makes our trucks special. Since there is so little for these 1st gen trucks, every thing has to be modded to fit. Keep up the great work - someday we got to find a common central meeting place to show MiniTrucin and the world that there is more to the small truck world than Toys, mazdogs, s-10s and rangers.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    It sure is nice to see other nut cases like me doing odd ball trucks. Everybody and their dog has built a SBC S-10, Windsor powered Ranger or a Toyota powered by everything and anything as any idiot can order all the parts online and bolt it together.Now don't get me wrong I don't mind them but I would rather see weird stuff the the owner had to take time to "build" the truck then going to "Bob's bolt on goodies.com" and just order everything they need.
    I'm with you there. Anybody and their cousin can build a SBC powered S10, SBF Ranger and so forth (like you said). But it takes a bit more work and fabrication to stick something different in a D50. Somewhere in the depths of my garage (one of the garages, anyway) I've got a 1979 Plymouth Arrow (truck, unfinished project) with a Supercharged 340 SBM engine from a 1971 GSS Dodge. When it's done it'll be an AWD 340 4-Speed truck. The differentials are cut down Chrysler 8.75" Rear Axles, set up to work with Independent Suspension (front & rear) I just never finished the truck, and it got pushed to the side.

Unlike the S10 i see driving around town, with a 350 in it and a fake blower sticking out of the hood...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I would think that the 71 gss motor should be in the demon at least for a little while - thats where is came from, a demon?
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    I would think that the 71 gss motor should be in the demon at least for a little while - thats where is came from, a demon?
    Yep, came from a '71 Demon. One of my first cars actually (rust claimed that car though, i was only 12 at the time and didn't know places like YearOne existed. So it got junked) I probably will run it in my '71 Hemi Demon project car for a while though, at least while i build the 426 for it. I'm impressed that you knew what a GSS 340 was though, very few people do. '71 was the only year for the Supercharger too, 72 and up was a Naturally Aspirated 6-Pack setup instead.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    There was an article in Mopar muscle or Mopar action just 2 or 3 months ago - it was a Mr Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge dealer special. Not a lot of them built, and many less around after 40 years. Great you still have the drivetrain though.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    It sure is nice to see other nut cases like me doing odd ball trucks.
    Any idiot can order all the parts online and bolt it together.Now don't get me wrong I don't mind them but I would rather see weird stuff the the owner had to take time to "build" the truck then going to "Bob's bolt on goodies.com" and just order everything they need.
    At least you are not building a Mall Crawler.... I haven't found anything that will bolt up directly to my build truck that did not need some kind of "re-engineering" or new mounting system. Only the stock things bolt up. IE: gas pedal and parking brake.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Well off to Pick and Pull to see what i can find for a front bumper.A few years ago there was a 83 D50 sitting beside a 85 Accord with the front bumper cover off, I picked it up and as a joke put it over the bumper of the D50 and it fit. it even followed the wheel well curve. the only thing I saw that would really need to be changed it the side marker lights would need to be relocated.I'm not sure if I'm going to make new bumper ends out of steel and modify the OEM bumper, or try something different........... Hummm Accord bumper cover on a D50 would have to change its name to Hondabishi

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Looked at that same conversion myself, but my truck was painted and I didn't want to start messing with the body of a freshly painted truck.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Stripped and cleaned the master cylinder and brake booster, repainted it and put it all back together. almost looks factory again.

Brake booster.jpg

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    well got the brake system all in and lines run. here's a few pic's

Booster.jpg
    all clean and shiny

Rear B lines.jpg
    rear all plumbed

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    looks great! Are you using a pcv valve as a check valve there on the booster?

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    that's the stock check valve, just have to do the 11/32" Vac line to the intake.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast