Array
    Status
    Winchester
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

Blow through turbo setup questions

Hey everyone, over the summer I plan to turbo my truck. Now I will be using the stock 2.6, and the turbo from a starion. My question is that instead of going with a fuel injected build I will be using the stock carb and cannot seem to find a turbo carb hat that will bolt up to the stock carb. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful.

-As a side note,
    I know many of you will disagree with the choice for the stock carb, however I am trying for a budget turbo build and don't have the funds to be able to get a fuel injected setup or the Weber 32/36. Trust me when I say that if the money was there for all the right parts then there would be no hesitation.

Thanks everyone in advance!

-Chris
    Project: Slo-Low-Turbo

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If you dont have the money for a weber, you dont have the money for a turbo carb setup if there is even such a thing for these trucks. Shoot if there is ill drop some coin for it right now.

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    found one, doesnt look cheap. Look at the name on it.
    Buscher set up.jpeg

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    That is a 4G64, and no it wasn't cheap, and it wasn't a bolt on...

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Sorry didnt really investigate the pic to see. Be awesome if a kit was offered, especially if designed to work with a weber.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    You won't be doing it with YOUR Weber carb. You'll be purchasing the correct Weber carb with a blow-through box or hat.. along with the correct fuel system including a boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator and then having someone fab up a carb adapter or TIG'ing a new baseplate on your current intake.

There are links out there for what you want, I located this one, but your probably going to need to research quite a bit since I have not seen one in here yet and haven't built one either. Seems everyone has something different going on which is great, that's the way it should be. Do what you want not what others want.

http://www.turbogemini.com/Blow%20Th...arby%20Kit.htm

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It is do-able and it's going to cost you but it will work a lot better if you used a draw through set up. You will obviously need a turbo manifold for a start, and then have a custom made 'J' pipe that bolts straight to the factory carb mounting face. The turbo will need special seals and a 'V' band clamp to mount something like a Stromberg CD carb to it. You will also need a distributor that is indexed for boost and not vacuum and a custom grind cam. This draw through design was used on one model of Mistubishi built exclusively for the Australian market and was one tough 4G52. This will give you an idea of how it looks in near factory form but I think designing something similar for the 4G64 will perform even better -

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post44007

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    It's not a bolt in.
    Like mentioned..you will need boost reference for the fuel pressure as well as for retarding the timing as boost increases which also brings up the need for an msd or other aftermarket ignition.
    Most stock carb will not take boost in. Turbo carbs have o ringed shafts to hold in pressure. Other calibrations are required to take boost.
    I wouldn't try it without the correct parts.
    You'd be better off with a good carb..cam swap and header. Cheaper and less complex.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    A blow through. No such animal for these trucks.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    not true - top end performance makes a kit for monteros that will work - its way expensive, but they also have cams to go with it or separately. Try this link: http://www.racetep.com/automaker/sta...urbo-html.html
    Last edited by pennyman1; 08-02-2016 at 07:14 PM.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    OK,, but for 3000 bucks you could swap over to a Chevy LS and get some real power out of it.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    didn't the starions come with turboed g54s? i would think that the cheapest route for him would be to find one and take everything he needed. their would still be some fab work and maybe a little bit of wiring but for the most part i think it would be really straight forward.

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    i know their is some differences in the motors but he should be good if he does not run the boost to high. on his budget i doubt that he will be able to afford this as an alternative.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    blowthru stock carb may not b a good idea at all
    in addition to a moded carb, u still need;
    hi output fuel pump + modified plumbing + the proper regulator(not cheap) + fab indution plumbing, etc

another vote for drawthru.... easier imo

half starion members pull off their whole intake for multiport upgrade. You can likely grab an entire TBI system up for pennys
    Wiring loom n ecu extract fine. Wire up info should still b online. Don't forget fi fuel pump n lines
    Get the(special for boost) starion distributor same time

quite a few have swapped starion powerplants to trucks and raiders because..... it makes too much sense(find a donor)
    stock TBI is mod-friendly & potent

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    My friend trkdesigner is working on a conquest swap into his 81 Arrow sport pickup. He is in the process of getting the block and all the other parts detailed and painted before we put the motor in and wire it up. Motor is from an 87 conquest TSI with non jet valve head, 240 mm clutch (rare on an 87 IC motor) and upgraded injectors. It will be put in as a stock install - all parts originally from the conquest will be in the Arrow. The biggest problems with the stock TBI setup is the injector clips - those have been replaced with new improved ones. Pictures will follow as we make the install.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Had a coworker do a blow through carb with his Webber on his 22r Toyota truck. With a Webber carb it should be possible. His setup was simple. No intercooler and the intake manifold was really cold. Msd boost reference ignition box for regarding timing, special float I think so it don't collapse under boost. Electric fuel pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Didn't take a pic, sorry.