87 "lil red truck" Build Thread.
Well never actually made a build thread and I have some time this morning in the office.
We have owned the truck since 94 and was purchased for my brother after flipping his C10 to avoid a head on collision with a mom not paying attention with her kids in the back. In 95 my brother passed away leaving the mighty max and us behind. I was too young to drive on the road, but since we had some land, I cut some trails through the woods and then proceeded to drive the wheels off of it for about 2 years. Id drive it for hours out there just terrorizing mud holes, sliding it sideways wide open. I have put the truck on its side twice but luckily enough not to crush the roof or glass. When came time for me to drive "legally", It was not fit for the road and by that time it had stopped running more than likely from a makuni carb issue from the terrible conditions it was in. Now the truck was pretty abused for the short time my brother owned it. Little bit of a wild child. Front end was pretty smashed from where he rear ended somebody and then proceeded to run over mail boxes in a wealthy community near us lol.
Well, 14 years of rotting behind the barn, I decided it was time. Helps that now have a house with a detached 2.5 car garage which is now my "shop".
On to the build pics.
Ill save the write up since most of you guys know 90% more than I do about these trucks.
It did take alot of light fab work and tons of time find parts. I was stupid to tear it down years ago even bagging and tagging parts was a nightmare to reconstruct where stuff went. Tons of small random parts and bolts where rusted and unusable so made for some interesting trips to home depot.
I am hoarding parts for the V8 swap due to start at the end of the year which i will started another thread about that with some good questions and info.
Dragging it out.
Tried to clean it before tear down. There was mud in every inch of the truck, which i actually believe saved the frame from rusting.
ALL suspension was a total waste after that much abuse.
While waiting on parts I polished some stuff, this was before i pulled the engine for rebuild.
Didnt like the looks of the bay, so back out it came.
I picked this up from a farm behind us for 100 bucks, was a complete 302 truck. I was going to use it for swap as it had everything i needed except 2 issues..
Block and a crack and trans locked up so hard it wouldnt even roll. Grenade apparently went off in it lol. So I sold it for 500 bucks.
Didnt like the newer style bumper, wasnt the look i wanted
So back to ebay for the OE setup. Thats better
Interior is a work in progress as the carpet had been wet from years of off road and you should have seen the dirt and dust in the vents. It was crazy.
Will post up some of that later. I was suppose to drop of the truck for install of race seats, roll cage and a few other goodies but got hit with $4k worth of dental work which i begin this week. Gotta love genetics and years of well water.
I have an intense work schedule and wife and 1.5 year old so time for projects is very limited but i will eventually get there!
V8 swap is coming and overall goal is 400ish hp goal but attempting to keep it very simple and raw.
Thanks for all the help and baring with some stupid questions I have had.
My other truck.
That's good looking ride for years of abuse!!
Hmm, I thought I'd already commented on this awesome resurrection project! Amazing what some industrial strength cleaning and work will do. Good stuff Rymar
Tags for this Thread