Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spence View Post
    I'll do my best to answer your questions RRanger.
    You have a few options for wiring... The gas and diesel have very different wiring harnesses. The gas has a wiring harness for all the lights and bells and whistles, and then a wiring harness that runs from the ECM and tells the carb what to do and does all the emission stuff. The diesel truck has everything combined into one harness.
    Your options...
    1. Completely remove both wiring harnesses from the gas pickup and put the diesel one in its place. It will only be a pain, in my opinion, when you start going towards the rear of the truck towards the taillights. Not a bad option though.
    2. Remove the ECM wiring harness from the gas truck, leave the main harness, and then rewire the necessities for the diesel to run properly.
    I went with number 2 and here's why. A lot of what is coming from the computer in the diesel truck has to do with the fuel sensors. Attached to the fuel filter is a probe in the top and one in the bottom and there's another one somewhere in the fuel system. Those never worked in the past so I just didn't worry about them. My diesel harness had also been molested by previous owners and so there were a few rats nests along the way, plus a poor job of wiring for trailer lights. I wanted to keep it clean.
    I swapped over my dash cluster thing so that I could keep track of the mileage but also have a tachometer since the gas truck didn't have one. So I had to wire the tach, fuel cut off switch, glow plug switch, and I did a few others that I wasn't totally sure what they did. Some day in the near future I'll try cutting those questionable wires while the truck is running and then turn it off and back on again to see if they are even necessary. The unknown wires were accounted for in the wiring diagram but I didn't know if they were necessary for the truck to start and I didn't want to take a chance. I just wanted the truck to start. I'm planning to eliminate as much as I can to keep it very simple.
    I had to cut a whole in the firewall to get my fuel filter to bolt up to it. That was really only a pain because the place I wanted to mount it was also the same place that the cable came through for the previous mechanical clutch cable. I removed that with a air chisel and then welded a new piece for my fuel filter to bolt to. It wasn't too bad, and I only started a small fire in the process.
    Lastly was the clutch pedal since the diesel transmission has a hydraulic clutch, and the gas has a mechanical clutch. It really wasn't too bad until I went to mount the actual clutch pedal. The little master cylinder wasn't too bad. I cut a big hole with a hole saw and made some measurements and got it mounted. The clutch pedal though has a bracket to support it so there isn't excessive pressure on the firewall... that was a pain in the neck.
    If you decide on option 1 for the wiring harness, make sure to install that clutch pedal bracket while there is no wiring in the way. I got it done but it was probably my least favorite part of the whole project and I may go back to it again someday to make some modifications. Wish I had had a plasma cutter.
    My truck didn't have an intercooler. I know that some of the 4D56T's came with them but mine doesn't and I had thought about putting one on at the beginning of my build but I already have a lot connected to the radiator support with the oil cooler, air conditioner, and radiator. I'm afraid I'd be loosing good flow with one more thing in the path. I'm fine with how it is for now.
    Otherwise, I used the drive line and rear end from the gas truck.
    I went to put the skid plate that came on the gas pickup and discovered the oil pan on the diesel is a tad bigger so I'll have to cut it some to get it to mount properly. Otherwise it really isn't very complicated. For the 2WD, the transmission cross member was the same so that made it easy. The mounts were the same too and the one from my diesel was really beat up so that was a win!
    I did have some wiring for the starter, as the battery from my diesel was behind the cab. I just talked about that though a few posts ago on the thread.
    I could probably ramble on, but I'll end it there. Let me know if you have anymore specific questions.

I'm lucky I have the diesel truck to sit beside the gas one as I change it over. Piece by piece. Its looking like from your post, the order would be
    1)remove gas drive train
    2)Install clutch pedal and hydraulics.
    3)Wiring
    4) drop in Motor and tranny.
    5)hookup.

Going to run it on gas for a bit and then decide if its a plan to go diesel.

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Haven't updated in a while. Truck is doing great in Texas. Haven't driven it a whole lot since the rebuild since I ride my bike to work everyday. A parking permit here costs like $500 for the year and I can ride my bike for free! Once I get through my first tank of diesel since the rebuild I'll change the oil and have something to update then.
    On a lighter note, I took my man cub camping this past weekend and we slept in the back of Wallace. He thought it was pretty darn cool. It was nice to be somewhere with a slower pace, but holy crap... camping in Texas is so crappy because it's so hot and humid. I grew up in the Rocky Mountains where it cools down at night and a fire is to keep you warm. A fire here is only useful to stand next to to get really hot and then that way it actually feels sort of cool when you step away. All in all my boy had fun throwing rocks, playing in the dirt, collecting sticks, looking for alligators, and riding and sleeping in Wallace. That was the point.

KIMG1462.jpg
    KIMG1457.jpg
    KIMG1460.jpg

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I just thought the truck looked good in the shade and thought I'd share.

In the past 80 miles or so the valve cover gasket has started to leak towards the front on the manifold side. I had an extra gasket so I cleaned it all up and put it on and it was even worse, so I will park it until I have the chance to mess with that debacle. Otherwise the truck is doing great!

KIMG1520.jpg

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    what is the brand of tonneau you are running?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    It's custom built Pennyman. Relatively simple actually. I believe it started as a Ford ranger cover and they cut it and welded it to the proper dimensions. The frame is all aluminum. The hardest part would probably be getting all the buttons to align up nicely so the fabric sits flat. The fabric they took to an upholstery shop to have it cut and sewn to fit properly.

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Haven't updated in a while. Truck is still around. I made a video for a contest for my jetta. It's largely focused on the truck though. Thought I'd share with the forum. Or at least those who are interested in this particular thread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o82UCvmOIpk

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    That was actually pretty good dude. Good drone use, editing was pretty good. The glamour shot of you on the truck bed cover was...disturbing lol

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Must be tall eh, even my cut down bed is 6ft

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    That was actually pretty good dude. Good drone use, editing was pretty good. The glamour shot of you on the truck bed cover was...disturbing lol
    Disturbing! Ha! I tried just leaning on the truck looking off into the distance, but that wasn't cheesy enough. So I went for the "glamour" shot as you like to call it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    Must be tall eh, even my cut down bed is 6ft
    Tortron, the truck does look kind of small with me laying on the back like that. I'm 6'2" (1.8m for our metric friends) so not crazy tall. Gangly is probably a better definition for my build.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    It was a great video, Uncle Spence, and I love the paint job on the truck !! And it's always cool to see what our members look like.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    would be great to get some drone shots of a few trucks driving together. A bit like the old TV ads with a line of them rolling over the desert

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    So I didn't win the video contest, but they did give me a shout out (honorable mention basically) when they announced the winners. They also gave me $10 dollars to spend on parts, which isn't the $100 I was hoping for, but that's okay.
    If you haven't check out the video yet, you should. I'm sort of proud of it.

Video Contest.JPG

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You got kudos Spence (and a $10 discount!) It's funny how the judges' pick ain't always the peoples choice. Your truck looks pretty sharp - Geezer approves

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Haven't updated in a while. Truck is still running without error. Not a daily driver, I mostly bike commute, but gets driven weekly. Taken it to haul a small trailer to go kayaking with some buddies and other miscellaneous things. Kids love riding in Wallace.

Saw this cool Datsun recently with Mexico license plates. Front end reminded me a lot of the two headlight 1 generation Ram 50.

Harvesting corn with a mini combine. I like mini trucks so why not mini combines right?

Funny license plate I saw recently... If you're into Seinfeld.

KIMG2397.jpg

KIMG2518.jpg

KIMG2527.jpg

KIMG2396.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the update. You're getting the better use out of Wallace - the fun stuff. It's treated like a family friend. Gets to go camping and hang out with your buddies on the weekend. Nice
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle

1996 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G37
    I live in Texas. That looks like a dead plane, can you tell me where it is?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    That old Datsun is in great shape -- I once bought a brand new 1979 Datsun 210 2 dr sedan (not hatchback)1200cc 5 speed stick 41 to 47 mpg easily

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDodge View Post
    I live in Texas. That looks like a dead plane, can you tell me where it is?
    Not sure what you mean by dead plane, but most of those pictures were taken in or near College Station.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    That old Datsun is in great shape -- I once bought a brand new 1979 Datsun 210 2 dr sedan (not hatchback)1200cc 5 speed stick 41 to 47 mpg easily
    Best running car I ever owned a 78 B210.

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Friendly update for those still following...

Truck was habitually not cranking over, or cranking too slowly, so I found myself either parking on a hill, or jumping myself off my own battery by bypassing the cables leading to the starter, and connecting the battery and starter with jumper cables. I knew it was the cables not connecting well, but needed to finish my dissertation and graduate. Got that done and started a new job that gave me a little more free time.
    Put all new cables and one new battery terminal. I like the wingnut style terminals rather than the traditional ones and upgraded there as well. Bought the cables online and then built them to length. Really pleased with the outcome.

The truck has such good compression, that now with adequate power going to the starter it fires right up on the first crank.

Also took the time to finally install my window stickers that I got for donating to the forum.

I hope none of you are too discouraged with life. I know a lot have complained about 2020, but it's been a pretty good year for me and I feel pretty blessed overall. Have enough to meet my basic needs and my wife and kids are all in good health. Can't ask for much more... (hope you enjoy the message on the back of this septic truck as much as I did)

All the best,
    -Uncle Spencer
    Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123