Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Pressure relief spring ..

I'm not sure in my build if I checked the pressure relic spring listed on no#5 here ? On the oil pump casing .Would this be a cause of low pressure indicating on the cluster ?May be stuck open ? Or just need replacement?
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If your using the stock gauge it could very well be the gauge itself or the sensors. Before your claim of a low oil pressure, you may try another gauge to verify that it is in fact lower then normal. While the truck is idling, unscrew the oil fill cap and look inside to see if you notice oil sloshing around. It will not come squirting out while idling and you can even give it a little rev to see if oil is getting to the head.
    Using a 30 wt oil that is a quality brand, for example Castrol and if you have high mileage, use the oil for higher mileage engines.
    Remember when changing oil, always fill the new oil filter with oil prior to installing.
    As for the spring, I doubt very much this will cause a low oil reading. When I replaced the small pump for a large pump, I went and honed out the newer pump casting with a dremel to make the edges and corners nice and smooth. No 90 degree turns for the oil flow and nice polished channels.
    Also the gears are really what create oil flow in the pump, so if you do not hear the gears rattling around, then you should be just fine.
    Your not getting any excessive heat or rocker rattling or any other type of oil related noise, then there is not too much to worry about.
    When porting and polishing an oil pump, you will see the restrictions that the casting has from the factory. It definitely deserves a little work if you have the engine down and can work on the part. It will make a difference.
    There are also oil channels behind that timing plate too. These look nasty with slack casting the entire route. You can also dremel these nice and smooth and shiny to increase that oil flow. Be sure not to over dremel oil pump casing and make a hole in it. It allows work to be done, but do not go crazy.

oil channels2.jpgoil channels.jpg
    Last edited by BradMph; 03-27-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Ok thanks didn't think so . I changed the oil switch as I Pmed you about as well as with the tachometer cluster . There is oil getting to the head and no excessive overheating . I'll have a look at it again and see.Guess I'm overly worried since its a new build.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    When it comes to oil pressure always check with a real mechanical gauge first. Then you can work your way back. Yes a spring can cause low PSI.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Haven't got to the truck to take a look at it yet maybe next weekend I'll open it and look at the spring . Thanks just glad I'm checking before it gets on the road .