Array
    Status
    Burlington
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

89 ram 50 timing problem

Hi there i have a 89 ram 50 with a 2.6L 5spd i just replaced the intake manifold gasket the other day everything went smooth was able to drive it around i went to set the timing today and it was way off so i moved it back to 0 checked my idle and took it for a drive up the road it didnt want to take off like usual then when i went to slow down it started to pop from the exhaust keep in mind its pretty much straight piped but it was so loud it sounded like gunshots i ended up moving the timing back to where i had it set because i cant have it sounding like that while driving around since i will probably get pulled over my main question is what could have caused this? is my carb just way out of wack from setting it with the timing way advanced? any help is greatly appreciated

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    It shouldn't be at 0 or advanced, base timing should be somewhere around 5-7* BTDC, before top dead center, (I believe, check under hood sticker or manual for exact setting as I haven't had a g54b in a long time).

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    DroppedMitsu is dead on correct. Surprised he didn't get pinging running at 0.