Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 4d55 Oil Pump quick question

  1. #1

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-19-2016
    Posts
    36
    Location

    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle

    1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    4D55-T

    4d55 Oil Pump quick question

    Hello, pretty new here. I am in the process of assembling a 4d55 that I bought used from a guy, in pieces. Lots of joyful discoveries of missing parts, but it is coming along! Anyway, I don't seem the have the front lower case/oil pump assembly. I have found a few 4d56 oil pump assys on ebay for like 70 bucks or so, but I am not having any luck finding the 4d55 piece. My question is, are the 4d56 versions the same by some stroke of luck? Or compatible anyway? And if not, I suppose i would love to hear any ideas on where else to look!

  2. #2



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    07-24-2012
    Posts
    2,357
    Location

    Washington State
    Vehicle

    1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    G63B
    Well, I am not a diesel guy, but the G63B and 4G63 all have interchangeable parts but for some upgrades like the oil pump. The later years had bigger pumps, but these oil pumps also were interchangeable as well for the older model and considered an upgrade. Now for the diesel, you might try doing a parts search, for example on RockAuto and see what years specifically the item you need is compared to the years. Most the time they will post the years that the part will fit on and possibly this could help in your case. Most the time the blocks stayed the same, they just made upgrades on the external items and heads. Though the G63B 4G63 did have 2 size blocks by 1 inch larger which was a strange thing to do at Mitsubishi. Something about it wouldn't fit into an engine bay sideways when front wheel drive came around.


    Welcome to the Forum

  3. #3

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    01-18-2015
    Posts
    214
    Location

    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

    1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

    4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Well, I am not a diesel guy, but the G63B and 4G63 all have interchangeable parts but for some upgrades like the oil pump. The later years had bigger pumps, but these oil pumps also were interchangeable as well for the older model and considered an upgrade. Now for the diesel, you might try doing a parts search, for example on RockAuto and see what years specifically the item you need is compared to the years. Most the time they will post the years that the part will fit on and possibly this could help in your case. Most the time the blocks stayed the same, they just made upgrades on the external items and heads. Though the G63B 4G63 did have 2 size blocks by 1 inch larger which was a strange thing to do at Mitsubishi. Something about it wouldn't fit into an engine bay sideways when front wheel drive came around.


    Welcome to the Forum
    Well, on my 4d56 i am running a d55 timing kit, and a d55 oil pickup tube.
    i would imagine the pump should be the same however i havent had any apart

  4. #4

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-29-2014
    Posts
    66
    Location

    los angeles
    Vehicle

    1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSloth View Post
    Hello, pretty new here. I am in the process of assembling a 4d55 that I bought used from a guy, in pieces. Lots of joyful discoveries of missing parts, but it is coming along! Anyway, I don't seem the have the front lower case/oil pump assembly. I have found a few 4d56 oil pump assys on ebay for like 70 bucks or so, but I am not having any luck finding the 4d55 piece. My question is, are the 4d56 versions the same by some stroke of luck? Or compatible anyway? And if not, I suppose i would love to hear any ideas on where else to look!

    I can't say for 100% certainty, but I think they should be the same.

    From my understanding, the biggest change going from 4d55 to 4d56 was they changed the stroke, which increased the displacement. They also went to roller rockers.... I think the rest is probably the same, with various changes over the years as things gt more advanced - like the move to direct injection, non-protruding valves, water-cooled turbo, intercooled turbo, etc..

    also, vehicle differences led to other variations, like the oil pan for the vans being different from the oil pan for the pickups.

    Of course, it's not my money, so it's good that you are being careful.

  5. #5

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-19-2016
    Posts
    36
    Location

    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle

    1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    4D55-T
    So I got an oil pump for a 4d56, looks great except that my silent shaft is too long. The manual shows a shorter silent shaft as well for the 4d55, anyone know if that's for a different model 4d55 or something? Maybe I can find the shorter silent shaft and go from there? Definitely not buying an engine in pieces again hahaha.

  6. #6

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-07-2011
    Posts
    289
    Location

    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

    1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    4D55-T
    I hope you are boring and putting new pistons and rings and bearings. Let me know if you need help. I have every part by 10x. Mike 8182683012 text

  7. #7

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-19-2016
    Posts
    36
    Location

    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle

    1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    4D55-T
    I have been considering eliminating the balance shaft but since it is a longer shaft than works with the oil pump assembly, I can't just cut the shaft in front of the outer bearing, the oil pump assembly protrudes into the case past the bearing on the shaft. Short of just not installing the shaft at all, it would not fit. Is that a thing that people do? Most of the balance shaft eliminations I see seem to leave the shaft in there but cut the tip off so that it isn't driven. I am definitely new to the engine so hopefully I am not sounding too terribly ignorant!

  8. #8

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    04-07-2011
    Posts
    289
    Location

    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

    1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    4D55-T
    I do not recommend eliminating the balance shafts. If you need help you may have parts we can trade. I have the correct shafts. You need to have new bearings pressed into the block. Just text me

  9. #9

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-19-2016
    Posts
    36
    Location

    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle

    1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    4D55-T
    Yeah, I have seen almost violent proponents of both leaving them and taking them out (especially on DSM forums haha) but I would have no issues leaving it in if I had the correct bits! I was having no luck in scrounging one online, so if you have them that would be great, PM sent.

  10. #10



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    07-24-2012
    Posts
    2,357
    Location

    Washington State
    Vehicle

    1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSloth View Post
    So I got an oil pump for a 4d56, looks great except that my silent shaft is too long. The manual shows a shorter silent shaft as well for the 4d55, anyone know if that's for a different model 4d55 or something? Maybe I can find the shorter silent shaft and go from there? Definitely not buying an engine in pieces again hahaha.


    Shop around, you probably can find what you need. Maybe Rock Auto or ebay. Google the part number.

  11. #11

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-19-2016
    Posts
    36
    Location

    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle

    1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    4D55-T
    Mike Warme I would really like to hear from you. We were in the middle of discussing purchase and shipping of the balance shaft and you dropped out of contact. It's been months and I still can't find someone to sell me the correct one. I really want to get this engine together! If anyone else has the shorter silent shaft Pm me! I need to get this project finished.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •