Array
    Status
    OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

how to bypass a ballast resistor for a new ignition coil on an 86' 2.6

hey everyone, i have an 86' ram 50 2.6 sport and i got a new accel 8041c ignition coil. It says there is a internal ballast resistor inside. Any help on what to do with the excess wires going to the ceramic ballast resistor? I heard you just put the positive and negative wires from the resistor on the new coil and then cap off the remaining wire? im thinkin that means there would be 2 positive wires then 2 negative wires on the coil and a ground right? any suggestions?

Array
    Status
    OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Or is there a better coil for our trucks out there that can use the ballast resistor? What coils do you guys use?

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I use a coil from an old GM engine, I really just experimented around and found out what wires went where, I can take a picture of it and upload it if you want me to. Use a volt/ohm meter to find out what wires do what, you know the one with power when the key is on would go to the + on your coil, and so does the black wire from the distributor, then the blue wire goes to the other post on your coil ( I think 2.6's have the same color as a 2.0, but I don't remember.) If it wont work switch the distributor wires around, Blue on + and black on the other, that's what I did and I didn't damage anything.