Array
    Status
    Springfield, OR
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other

Just saying hello from Oregon

How is everyone doing. I am new to this forum but have had a 79 d50 sport that I miss a lot. I have just recently gotten a 1980 d50 base with the very sluggish 2.0 (not sure exactly what motor just the size) and 4spd transmission. I am going to do a Weber Carb install pretty soon, probably put a high flow cat and muffler on it to. Keep same exhaust size as to not lose all my back pressure. Other than that thinking of doing a 5spd trans swap in the future and later down the road when this truck isn't my DD probably a boosted 4cyl, with fuel injection swap. Just not sure what yet.

Any my ideas or advice for giving my truck a little more pep in the meantime? I will post some pictures when I have a chance. Got this beast from an old lady, it is one owner and damn clean I must say. Still needs some cosmetic and mechanical love though.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. First is ID'ing your engine - die cast timing cover or plastic? If it's die cast it will either be a 4G52 (2 litre Astron) or 4G54 (2.6 litre Astron). Plastic timing cover will denote it as being a 4G63 2 litre Sirius engine. There should be a metal plaque on the firewall directly behind the valve cover with the info on it. Camoit has gotten together with DG Headers to make some really nice headers for the 4G63/64 engines - add a Weber, delete the emissions crap, some mild port work and a good tune up and it'll haul.

Array
    Status
    Springfield, OR
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. First is ID'ing your engine - die cast timing cover or plastic? If it's die cast it will either be a 4G52 (2 litre Astron) or 4G54 (2.6 litre Astron). Plastic timing cover will denote it as being a 4G63 2 litre Sirius engine. There should be a metal plaque on the firewall directly behind the valve cover with the info on it. Camoit has gotten together with DG Headers to make some really nice headers for the 4G63/64 engines - add a Weber, delete the emissions crap, some mild port work and a good tune up and it'll haul.

So I just found another pickup with the 5spd trans and the 4g54 in it. Already has the weber carb installed too! So I guess my question is they are both 1980 d50's would putting the motor and trains from the beat up truck into my pretty truck me straights across and easy. I have done motor swaps and dropped motors out of newer rigs so I am thinking this should be a cake walk. Thoughts?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You need the front half of the 2 piece driveshaft, and the tranny crossmember - they are different between 4 spd and 5 spd. Motor mounts are the same. Don't scrap the g52b - it is now a rare beast
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Springfield, OR
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Yeah I am getting a full running and driving donor truck. I just like the extra power the 2.6 offers over the 2.0. So from the sounds of it I should just be able to transfer everything over.

Array
    Status
    Springfield, OR
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    You need the front half of the 2 piece driveshaft, and the tranny crossmember - they are different between 4 spd and 5 spd. Motor mounts are the same. Don't scrap the g52b - it is now a rare beast
    ...and they are more rev happy than it's bigger brother.

Array
    Status
    Springfield, OR
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Well I am keeping it and the 4 spd for now. The donor truck fell through. I am going to just have to install my Weber on this G52B and get some headers for it. Lol

all I really want is the 5 spd, not to worried about the motor. I also tried to post pics but no luck so far.