Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Pushing the limit with the max?

So I have been thinking about when I serve my term in the military and I'm going back home I really don't wanna ship my vehicles home. (plus they only let you ship one) so here is the task. Towing a 04 r32 w/ a trailer with built in brakes. No fuel in the r32 and nothing in the truck bed just me and my wife and the R. The Mm is a 4X4 V6. I have some time so putting in a better clutch is a option. And the final detail... It's from Alaska to Colorado.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Ive wondered how much our trucks can really tow as well. Factory rates our v6 towing at 3500# if the trailer has brakes. 1000# if it does not. Our biggest obstacle is having under 150 hp and marginal brakes i think. The frames look pretty solid and have a bit of bracing. I haven't really tested the rear suspension, but enough tongue load would really compress the lighter duty suspension. One can add leafs, air shocks etc. though.

Im currently tackling the Motor and brake issue. Mitsubishi built larger motors than the 3.0 and also put better brakes under the later monteros. In the next couple of weeks I will be swapping over the disc brakes on my 95 SR to see how much more of an upgrade that is. At the least the front calipers are thicker and we go from single piston calipers to dual. Rear discs will be a huge benefit as well.

For the motor I'm hoping to have a solution within a couple months.

How heavy is your truck and trailer?

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Ive wondered how much our trucks can really tow as well. Factory rates our v6 towing at 3500# if the trailer has brakes. 1000# if it does not. Our biggest obstacle is having under 150 hp and marginal brakes i think. The frames look pretty solid and have a bit of bracing. I haven't really tested the rear suspension, but enough tongue load would really compress the lighter duty suspension. One can add leafs, air shocks etc. though.

Im currently tackling the Motor and brake issue. Mitsubishi built larger motors than the 3.0 and also put better brakes under the later monteros. In the next couple of weeks I will be swapping over the disc brakes on my 95 SR to see how much more of an upgrade that is. At the least the front calipers are thicker and we go from single piston calipers to dual. Rear discs will be a huge benefit as well.

For the motor I'm hoping to have a solution within a couple months.

How heavy is your truck and trailer?
    The trailer I'm not sure yet i need to do some shopping but im assuming between 500 and 800 lbs. the R32 w/ no gas is around 3400 lbs. so its definitely pushing the limit. plus i heard the towing capacity included the weight of the truck so really i'm looking at 6100 to 6500 lbs

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    funny thing is, my r32 has a better towing capacity that the MM ha ha

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I think our numbers are overly conservative.

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    So what's a good towing capacity of a stock Mighty Max, 2wd? I want to get a boat next year.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    About 70% of truck weight or equal to truck weight with trailer brakes according to the manuals specs

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Funny this topic came up, I was just kicking around the idea of getting a parts truck in the next state but have never towed a trailer before and I have no clue as to what the weight and towing capacities are and what my truck even weighs.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    About 1100kg

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Towing capabilities.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hmm so about 750 pounds over to tow another Ram 50 plus whatever trailer/car dolly, probably a bad idea then.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    It all depends on the terrain and the condition of the tow vehicle, and how often you are going to do it. Once on flat roads will be ok, but daily on steep hills not at all. The other issue is the police - they can cite you for towing over your weight class if they want to, though they usually won't unless you have an accident or do something stupid to get their attention.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yea mine's got 184k miles on it and can barley pull itself up hills lol. I would have to go over at least two or three mountain passes at 6-7 percent grade. I probably shouldn't try it.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that's what rental trucks are for - I just had a U-Haul pickup that I moved my 92 prelude on my car trailer last weekend because my Blackwood is down for repair. It is cheaper in the long run to beat their truck up to save yours.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I would ship one and drive the other. Thats a big load over a long distance. I've certainly abused the tow rating on my 2.6 auto. 3000lbs with no brakes on hilly terrain, but it was only 30 miles. I've towed 2000 to 2500 a couple hundred miles on the interstate. Truck liked 60 better than 55, put me up at 3200rpm where i had much more power and needed less throttle.
    towing camry.jpgtowing coal.jpgtowing lathe.jpg

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the torque peak on a 2.6 is 3400 rpm, so that is why it pulls better there.
    Pennyman1