Array
    Status
    Alaska
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63-T

Pushing the limit with the max?

So I have been thinking about when I serve my term in the military and I'm going back home I really don't wanna ship my vehicles home. (plus they only let you ship one) so here is the task. Towing a 04 r32 w/ a trailer with built in brakes. No fuel in the r32 and nothing in the truck bed just me and my wife and the R. The Mm is a 4X4 V6. I have some time so putting in a better clutch is a option. And the final detail... It's from Alaska to Colorado.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Ive wondered how much our trucks can really tow as well. Factory rates our v6 towing at 3500# if the trailer has brakes. 1000# if it does not. Our biggest obstacle is having under 150 hp and marginal brakes i think. The frames look pretty solid and have a bit of bracing. I haven't really tested the rear suspension, but enough tongue load would really compress the lighter duty suspension. One can add leafs, air shocks etc. though.

Im currently tackling the Motor and brake issue. Mitsubishi built larger motors than the 3.0 and also put better brakes under the later monteros. In the next couple of weeks I will be swapping over the disc brakes on my 95 SR to see how much more of an upgrade that is. At the least the front calipers are thicker and we go from single piston calipers to dual. Rear discs will be a huge benefit as well.

For the motor I'm hoping to have a solution within a couple months.

How heavy is your truck and trailer?

Array
    Status
    Alaska
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Ive wondered how much our trucks can really tow as well. Factory rates our v6 towing at 3500# if the trailer has brakes. 1000# if it does not. Our biggest obstacle is having under 150 hp and marginal brakes i think. The frames look pretty solid and have a bit of bracing. I haven't really tested the rear suspension, but enough tongue load would really compress the lighter duty suspension. One can add leafs, air shocks etc. though.

Im currently tackling the Motor and brake issue. Mitsubishi built larger motors than the 3.0 and also put better brakes under the later monteros. In the next couple of weeks I will be swapping over the disc brakes on my 95 SR to see how much more of an upgrade that is. At the least the front calipers are thicker and we go from single piston calipers to dual. Rear discs will be a huge benefit as well.

For the motor I'm hoping to have a solution within a couple months.

How heavy is your truck and trailer?
    The trailer I'm not sure yet i need to do some shopping but im assuming between 500 and 800 lbs. the R32 w/ no gas is around 3400 lbs. so its definitely pushing the limit. plus i heard the towing capacity included the weight of the truck so really i'm looking at 6100 to 6500 lbs

Array
    Status
    Alaska
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63-T
    funny thing is, my r32 has a better towing capacity that the MM ha ha

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I think our numbers are overly conservative.