Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Removing door panels

I was wondering how you guys remove your door panels? I know how to pop off the actual panel but the top piece that is just vinyl gets stuck. The panel I pulled from the junkyard I tore but I wasn't worried about it because I just needed to make a template. This time around I don't want to damage my original door panels since they're in such good shape.

Also how do I replace the interior window squeegee?

Any help would be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Far as I can tell the door tops are held down with double sided adhesive tape. To remove them without destroying them is tricky.

I would - remove the arm rests and door handle mechanisms plus the window winder handles, then unclip the lower door panel. Then I would take out the door glass and gently pry the inner door glass seal from the door. At this point I would think the only thing holding the vinyl top trim onto the door would be the adhesive tape. It's inevitable that the vinyl section is going to stretch a bit so I would go slow and gentle peeling it off - maybe lift the lower door panel straight up and try to coax the vinyl upwards towards the top edge of the door.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    The top of the panels (at the window) have a strip of metal that clamps into the door metal. It is very tricky to get those out intact, if you're choosing to keep material over the top part of the door. Trickier to put them back in, I'm sure. I fudged the clips out using a flat screwdriver. The link below shows how it looks without the top 2" of material and what I did to cover the clip holes.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post29012

...there are clamps on a strip of metal to stretch the plastic and attach to the top of the door. That strip has holes to fit in.
    I didn't take photos of the procedure...wish I had.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    I have my driver's door apart right now. I'll try to take some pictures tonight.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Hopefully this helps.

DoorClip1.jpg
    This is the door with the trim removed. You can see two of the trim clip in this picture. They have a U shaped channel that captures the trim panel.

DoorClip2.jpg

This is the back of the trim panel with the edge rolled up so you can see another clip. The foam backing has rotted away. Some of it is still attached to the door sheet metal in the first picture.

DoorClip3.jpg

This is the bare clip. The flat part on the left attaches to the door sheet metal, and the U shaped channel on the right holds the trim.

The idea is to gently pry the trim out of that U shaped groove. My advice would be to roll the window all the way down, and then gently start prying the trim upward, starting at the front of the door and working your way back. Try to use a wide bladed tool so you don't bend anything.

Harbor Freight has a great trim removal kit for $8. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html