Array
    Status
    Fort Meade FL
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G52

Mighty Max complete wiring harness

I am new to this whole forum thing so please bear with me. My name is Nicole and I drive a 1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max. It has quite a few wiring problems so my plan is to rewire the entire truck. I personally don't know much about wiring or electric, but a friend of mine does and he is going to help me rewire it.

The question I have is what wires (colors, sizes and lengths) do I need for this project? I've looked through the manual and all I can find are the wiring diagrams which tell me the colors, but each diagram is for a different area. I have no idea how much of each one to get. I am not very good at reading the diagrams, either so it's pretty confusing to me. If anyone has any idea what exactly I need to buy your help will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    That's pretty ambitious. Unless someone else has done this and can post a bill of materials, you're probably going to have to figure a lot of it out on your own. From my experience doing harness repairs, the the wire is the easy part. The hard part is the connectors and terminals. Fortunately these older trucks aren't nearly as complex as even something from the mid 90s.

This might be a good place to start with bulk wire: http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1...-Primary-Wire/

As for the connectors, you'll probably have to hunt for those on a one by one basis. I've had some good luck digging those up in the past, so if you can post pictures of what you need, I can try to help.

With all that said, I'd really recommend trying to repair what you have instead of trying to build a whole new, custom harness. Especially if it's your first attempt at a project like this. Maybe try to hunt down a harness from a junked truck and rebuild that, or at least have it handy as a parts donor to repair your current harness.

Either way, good luck.

Array
    Status
    Norway
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D55
    I second repairing the existing harness over creating a brand new one to the original specs. My truck also came in horrible condition, with loads of cut wires and custom crap to work around the parts that were no longer functioning. With the help of the factory schematics I was able to bring the original wiring back to life, and all I needed were some terminals, a crimper, and some electrical tape to tidy it all up. The only brand new part is an add-on relay harness for the headlights, to prevent voltage drops that affect light output.

Although mine is a diesel, feel free to ask questions about the wiring for these trucks in case it matches what I have