Array
    Status
    Pomeroy, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Rare Exhaust Manifolds??

My bro-in-law has an '88 Macro cab with a 2.6litre that has a scary exhaust manifold and is in dire need of new soft plugs in his block. Our local super-hero mechanic is afraid to breath on the manifold as he's been told they are not to be found. Is this true?

Just trying to help the lads out. I think they're eyeing the manifold on my '89 Ram50 with anticipation. Hell no, I go! Not giving Rambini up till they pry the key from my cold,dead fingers.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Just about anything on our trucks is difficult to find if it is not a basic tune up part. As for relocating another exhaust manifold, they are around and it depends on where you live, available wrecking yards in the area.
    I am unsure by what you mean about having a scary exhaust manifold. Can't the mechanic remove the manifold? or what? The bolts can be a little problem when never removed before. So those need to be replaced along with gaskets. As long as the mechanic installs parts back into the truck using the proper torque, there shouldn't be a problem at all.
    If the exhaust manifold is removed, you might want to inspect inside the manifold at the collector for signs of cracking. This was a big problem with 1st gen manifolds and this makes it hard to locate one without a crack. But, with a problem there is usually a fix for it. Headers are an excellent upgrade for our trucks depending on your state smog laws. A little modification and your back on the road with a little more performance.

Anyway, to know what the problem is with the exhaust manifold that makes a mechanic worry needs to be clarified to answer your question correctly. if a picture will explain better, then post it and let us see the scary thing.

Array
    Status
    Pomeroy, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Manifold is fractured enough he thinks it will be so-long-sailor. Just thought he'd look around for a possible replacement before attacking. Any good or bads to the headers available?