Thread: Need advice on removing carb problem.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other

Need advice on removing carb problem.

I've disconnected all the lines, unbolted the five bolts which secure it to the manifold, hit it many times with a large hammer buffered by a stick.
    It seems to be a little loose now, but I can't get it off.
    Appears the prior owner used some goop on the gasket.
    How the heck can I get it off without damaging it or the studs?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Tried a squirt of WD and letting it soak for a while? Squirt it into the stud mounting holes as well as around the gaskets.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    I've soaked it with KROIL, WD40, and Penetrating Oil for three days with no progress. Can't see anything under the carb which would still be holding it down. Am I just screwed and need to get out the cutting torch? I have the rebuilt one to put on.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Tried a squirt of WD and letting it soak for a while? Squirt it into the stud mounting holes as well as around the gaskets.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    O'k' so I'm guessing this is an old school Mikuni with a die cast body? There are only the 4 mounting studs with nuts and spring washers holding this thing down and another one to seal the corner where the EGR valve is? You have been smart enough not to pry this thing off at the base or it will ruin the carb and manifold. A timber drift and a couple of taps with a hammer from the rocker cover side of the carb should free it. There's no other mechanical means as to how it's seated to the manifold. Some monkey has simply glued it down

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    DSCN3426.jpgDSCN3430.jpgDSCN3429.jpgDSCN3427.jpgI've tried applying a little pressure, with a floor jack and some timbers. Lifted the engine, but the carb would not move. We've soaked it with everything at the auto store, rocked it back and forth, whacked it with BFH, etc., but the one stud will not release that one corner. KY is suggesting putting it back together and hoping it will make it 20 miles to the Dodge mechanic.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Decided to drive out and talk to him first. Maybe leave it torn down and have it towed.

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    I'm thinking overzelous "tapping" on it with a hammer in that spot caused the aluminum body to compress a little and is now grabbing the stud threads. I'll heat it and see what happens before giving up completely. I could cut it away with a Dremel I guess and scrap the carb.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    !!!!!! from post 5, the engine moved up & no gap between the carb & manifold ????
    Your first post indicated the carb was a " little loose"?

close up pic of the problem stud?? Just trying to wrap My head around this.
    Thx

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    The other studs are free and don't move when the carb base moves; the one remaining stud moves with the base, indicating the whole in the manifold is "loosened", or the stud is broken and the top piece siezed in the base. Except then it would come up with the carb when lifting it. Something isn't right and looks like the maiforld will need to be removed and taken to a machine shop to resolve. It's pretty screwed. I'm trying to find a replacement manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by claych View Post
    !!!!!! from post 5, the engine moved up & no gap between the carb & manifold ????
    Your first post indicated the carb was a " little loose"?

close up pic of the problem stud?? Just trying to wrap My head around this.
    Thx

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Mechanical friend looked at it and said he's never seen anything so weird! That's not comforting.