Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Dash removal

Has anyone written up how to take the dash out? I'd rather not guess and make it worse than it already is.

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B
    If you are mechanically inclined it's a breeze. IMG_0519.jpgIMG_0520.jpgIMG_0521.jpgIMG_0524.jpg
    I don't have a write up.
    Sorry.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You will need to remove the demister vent panel directly under the windscreen. It's anchored down with 4 x 8mm flare nuts (the demister diffusers are anchored into place by them). A handful of phillips head screws hold the hidden back edge of the dash padding to the dash frame (you will need a stubby screwdriver or one of those crank handle screwdrivers you sometimes get in flat pack furniture as space is limited). Pull the glove box, instrument panel, vent control cover panel, the big screw hiding under that plug in the dash, the instrument dimmer knob and the remaining screws on the underside of the dash padding that hold it up to the lower dash frame and you should be ready to pull the dash pad off. Removing the steering column cover may also add some clearance to pull the padding off.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks Hutch & geezer101. After working on it yesterday to seal up the door vapor barrier I think I will first be removing the seat and the wet carpet so I can lay on the floor when it comes time to do this.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    You do not need to lay on the floor.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I have it covered in plastic and I want that wet carpet out of there so I can dry off as much metal as possible then run it with the heat on to dry out the insides for a bit. Once I find a glass guy with a decent price I'll have it in and let them replace the gasket with my steele rubber gasket.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    The scrapers arrived, Thanks Mike. I found a glass guy who will give me new glass with my gasket for a reasonable price. It comes out to what I was bid for my gasket and no new glass. Then I'll be sure it won't get wet and I'll remove the carpet and start figuring out what I need to replace under the dash.
    I'll get some pics up once I have it all together. It is just going to be in primer but that's good enough for me.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Took out the carpet and pad. It was soaked in a few spots and had a puddle under the driver seat where something mounts. There is no strap to mount with but I think the little orange bottle jack I was given with the truck goes there. I don't have the crank for lowering the spare. I put the tire iron under the passenger seat with the wing nut clamp. and something mounts behind the seat on the driver side???
    Anyway I have dried things out. There is a lot of hair from the pad still sticking on to the spray glue I used. I guess that will wear off or get covered by the next floor I put in

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Well it turns out there was a lot of adhesive or black sealer injected into the old window gasket. The glass guy figures that the water is coming from the cowl/firewall or possibly being driven around the glass. The person who put the sealer in blocked up the passenger side drain area at the top of the fender where it curves up to the windshield. The pinch weld was immaculate it looked new the clear coat was still glossy So its on with no sealer. I will wait for rain to see if it has worked I need to sand and prime it and take the dash out to look for shorted wires and a leak.
    EDIT- I forgot to mention that the glass guy said the water might make it around the glass through the gasket because the chrome trim had been removed. He said the chrome added a lot of tension to the gasket and its removal may have let water through.
    new glass & gasket.jpg
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 12-29-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Array
    Status
    Cataula , GA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    and something mounts behind the seat on the driver side???
    unless you mean the bottle jack postition, those two little metal loops behind the drivers seat are the spot for the rubber hold down that holds the mandatory road flares for the Japanese version of the truck. It's omitted from the USA and Australian versions but the mount is still there.