Thread: The Ram Truck

Array
    Status
    Ohio
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Just a dumb question I'm gonna add, any one got a diagram for installing a new radio? My old tape deck is dying and it wouldn't hurt to have a usb port to charge my phone.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The factory radio socket will be grossly inadequate to run a new 4 channel head unit but it will give you a solid ground and useable powered fuse connection from the fuse block. A bit of hunting around for an instructional video and I found this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH_O-_JbiHE

Installing a new single DIN head unit in the dash of the ram50 will be a bit easier as you won't have to contend with cutting through any metal. New head units require the head unit chassis to be grounded to the body. Some stereos like Pioneer head units (just don't go there - really...) will eventually go glitchy and fail without one. Cut out the slot in the dash as accurately as possible and file finish it so the edges are clean and square. Pretty easy to do with the dash bezel out.

Array
    Status
    Ohio
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Work is going smoothly, the engine is completely apart and going to be machined tomorrow. Bearings look ok to use but are being replaced because I'd rather know that I have a completely new bottom end. While I'm on my parts ordering spree, is a BSE (balance shaft elimination) worth it? I know a lot of starquest guys like this mod and I'm wondering if I'd benefit at all from it.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if you balance the whole rotating assembly, then yes it can help squeeze a few extra horses out. Otherwise, unless the balance shaft bearings are gone or the shafts are scored, it is better to leave the shafts in. You really only see a gain on all out motors.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The benefit from deleting the balance shafts aren't entirely based on HP. The shafts are hefty chunks of metal that create parasitic loss of torque and engine response. Due to them also rotating at double the speeds of the crank they can cause catastrophic damage from wear (plenty of guys will tell you about the shafts destroying themselves, bearings and the subsequent loss of oil pressure as a result). You can make useable gains from deleting the balance shafts and the clutch driven cooling fan (throttle response and fuel economy) and both of these mods have an impact on engine wear by reducing loads.

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I deleted mine simply cause one of the shafts was bad. But I'm not worried about it, I didn't have the assembly balanced but I am going with a fluidampr on my build hopefully it will negate any minor negative effects that would come from removing them.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chyrio View Post
    I deleted mine simply cause one of the shafts was bad. But I'm not worried about it, I didn't have the assembly balanced but I am going with a fluidampr on my build hopefully it will negate any minor negative effects that would come from removing them.
    The rotating assemblies are actually pretty good. I weighed the stock rod and piston assemblies in the G63B and they were within a few grams of each other.

Array
    Status
    Ohio
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Man I should really keep this thing up to date, but anyways, today was the big day! Got the rebuilt motor installed last weekend and fired it up for the first time today. Getting it to operating temp sucked. It was 40°f so I had to keep my foot on the gas to hold it at 1000 rpm. Once I was warm I figured out the real reason it didn't want to run, I was timed at 5° atdc. Got that smoothed out right away then shut her off to make my hot adjustments. It'll be nice to have may baby back soon. Just gotta break in the engine and adjust the new clutch and I should be rolling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12