Thread: 1986 Ram 50, I need some help with simplifying the engine and performance upgrades.

Array
    Status
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50

1986 Ram 50, I need some help with simplifying the engine and performance upgrades.

Dear Fellow Members,

I just purchased a 1986 Dodge ram 50 and need some advice.

I am going to use this truck as a platform for a custom vehicle project.

The first thing I want to do is simplify everything in the engine compartment. I just want the bare necessities to run the engine.

I want to remove all unnecessary vacum lines, wiring, and emissions junk.

I am planning of running pacesetter headers, a weber carb, a blaster 2 coil etc.

I would like to know what vacum lines I can get rid of, and how to simplify the ignition system.

I would even consider running a electronic ignition and getting rid of the distributor if you guys recommend it.

Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Seth

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    2.0 or 2.6? Vaccum lines, the two to the distributor, and one to the weber. Ignition, easy the black and blue wires that come from the distributor controlls the ignition, unless yours are different (I have an 87, i think they are the same just the body style is different). You may be able to get a distributor from an 87-89 Ram 50 and it should have an electronic ignition, if you just wanted to get rid of the points system. But fully electronic seems to be quite difficult from what I've heard. If it is a 2.0, you can get the EFI intake from a 2.4 and it will bolt right on, fuel delivery would need to be changed, and you would have to have a ECU to run EFI.

Array
    Status
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    I am not sure if I have a 2.0 or 2.6, how can I tell.

Seth

Array
    Status
    Garden Valley, CA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    a 2.6 will have an aluminum timing case, and a 2.0 will have a plastic timing belt cover.

Array
    Status
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Thanks guys. I think I have decided to run a msd 6a ignition module with a blaster 2 coil. I have been trying to figure out what wires will be the trigger wires when installing the new msd unit. My truck is an 86 yet has the electronic distributor, there are no mechanical points. Does anyone know how to properly hook up a MSD 6a to a Ram 50. Thanks.

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I forgot how I did it, I believe the black wires comes off of the keyed + and the blue goes to the coil. Do you have to have an ignition module, mine is wired straight to my coil, but I use an old GM coil on mine.