Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other

Body work and dent removal

I'm doing quite a bit of work on my truck at the moment to get the roof straight. I posted up some tools I had made to another forum and was asked how to use them, so I took a video. It may be of some use here as well.

https://youtu.be/CGVE3Do-4bA

The slapper file is made from an old bastard file. The tang is cut off and it is heated with a Mapp torch and bent in a vice to make a handle. My other one I also smoothed the handle part off with a flap disk to make it a bit nicer to hold.

You can also use some thick flat bar, as this won't mar the surface, however the cross hatch on the file makes it very easy to see the low spot rise up, when it's marked it's level.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I have a long-bed off a 87 2WD that has just a few dings in it the best bed I have seen in years but the cab took a hail dinging it has many dents in it. Was thinking of have the dent removal guy look at it but they are not cheap. Then thought just get the dings out if the bed and change out the cab, I will need to see what's the best route to go here.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if they are not too deep, try dry ice on the dents on a hot day - the change in temp from 80 to -120 or so will pop shallow dents right out. Use tongs to hold the dry ice of course.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Will give that a shot would be sweet to have a perfect bed to start a project!

Thanks

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Yeah hail damage can be a major to repair, usually insurance won't bother and just consider it a total loss.
    If you have a good cab with good paint then it may be less time to swap them. But if you need to paint it anyway and you have the time it's probably worth trying some dry ice and a heat gun and maybe some nylon paintless dent pry bars.
    If it's not majorly stretched and rippled it won't take too long to hammer and dolly it out. My roof is now at a stage similar to bad hail damage, maybe 10 hrs of work till it's good enough for paint